Thread: Green on Blue: causes and responses (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bob:

Yes I did read your response. The acknowledgment of personal reasons for the murders was half of a sentence in the fourth paragraph after two long paragraphs and one short one explicating the broad political situation in Afghanistan as you see it, followed by a fifth paragraph continuing the explication of the big picture. So it was hard to tell if you gave the personal reasons much importance.

True enough that reports are biased, but the so are opinions of the reports. i got a different take out of it than you did. These are personal beefs, with the individual behavior or perceived group offenses against cultural norms and against things like errant air strikes. There isn't much politics behind the murders at least in the sense that you seem to mean. ANSF guys get mad because of the way the ISAF and people in the ISAF act, not because the ISAF is there or because they are dissatisfied that Mullah Omar isn't leading a block of representatives in the government. That makes more sense to me in that murders that aren't committed in the course of other crimes are generally done because the killers has been personally offended by something and big picture politics aren't generally one of those somethings, or so I've read.

I guess you did read the report.
    Last edited by carl; 05-15-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Default In 2012 1 in 4 UK deaths from Afghan allies

A slightly different lethal report:
    Three British soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan by a local policeman following an argument...The soldiers were serving in an Afghan Police Advisory Team and had been to the check point to conduct a shura (meeting). On leaving, they were engaged by small arms fire by a man wearing an Afghan Police uniform.
    What I noted was that the policeman was:
    a member of the Afghan Civil Order Police, whose members have a reputation for having better training and greater discipline than the notorious national police.
    Now for the fact the politicians will not like, with my emphasis:
    the deaths mean that a quarter of all British fatalities this year have been caused by Afghans soldiers with seven murdered at the hands of allies.
    Link:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-argument.html

From the BBC report:
    More than 20 foreign personnel have been killed in so-called rogue shootings in Afghanistan this year.
    I don't recall this incident, maybe as it shows an ISAF on ANSF incident:
    The shooting of 16 Afghans by a US soldier in March has also created resentment.
    Link:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18670175
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 07-02-2012 at 10:04 AM.
    davidbfpo

Default Drip, drip

This week in Helmand more 'green on blue':
    Three US Marines were killed by an Afghan policeman early on Friday morning after inviting them to a Ramadan breakfast to discuss security. A few hours later, a further three US Marines were later shot dead by an Afghan civilian employee at a Nato base in Garmsir.

There have been 26 “Green on Blue” attacks on foreign troops by members of the Afghan security forces since January in which 34 people have been killed. Last year, there were 21 attacks in which 35 people were killed.
    Within an article on other matters:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-in-weeks.html
    davidbfpo

Default Moderator at work

I have merged two threads, the new 'Green-on Blue - Is our cultural ignorance killing us ... literally' and the older thread 'What causes some in the ANSF to kill ISAF?'.

Stats: x17 posts, 2415 views and x79 posts with 2151 views.

The title has become 'Green on Blue: causes and responses' (merged thread).
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 08-24-2012 at 09:33 PM.
    davidbfpo