Lets keep the focus on the major issue :Is the green on blue due to a faulty strategy of training the Afghans ? I put it that it is not. I think that he NATO forces have done well given the constraints.Those who expected miracles, whether in the military / NGOs / civilian bureaucracy, are being impractical and rather naive. I think the West's interest would be best served by propping up those who profit most from status quo & those who are the natural enemies of the Taliban & Pakistan. Note that the present Pathan leadership under Karzai may not completely welcome the Taliban as they would have to play 2nd fiddle to them. I think that the more pressing worry (which nobody wants to think about) is the steady deterioration of Pakistan which is a recalcitrant,paranoid & nuclear armed state.

As for military leaders & idealism : its the same story in every army..or navy or airforce... the guys who get to the top are ...SURVIVORS!! You shed some of your idealism, most of your conscience & all your beliefs on the climb..believe me!!