Thread: AFRICOM and the perception mess

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

One begs the question...does the US Army require one to have experience in Africa before one is appointed commander of AFRICOM?

In other words, do job specific skills matter, or do we just determine that we can put any "smart" guy in any position and therefore be assured of a good outcome. Would you drive your M-1 tank over a bridge that was designed by a cardiologist?

How do we opine on the level of in-country or in-region experience needed at this level of command?
    Such an individual needs to understand Africa, he needs to understand ethnic rivalries and ethnic compositions. He needs to understand that there are many sides to a story and if there are 250 ethnic groups, there are 250 different sides to the same story. He should be able to smell out whether the host nation military he is dealing with is a national army or merely an ethnic militia.

He should understand the broad socio-cultural trends in the African continent. He should be able to distinguish between the "Bantus" and the "Nilotics", the "Afro-Asiatics" and the "Niger-Congo" people. He should be aware of African colonial history and its impact on the perception of the US in Africa. He should have a frame of reference for assessing the impact of the insertion of US forces in a given host nation.

He should be able understand the impact of displaying pictures of US forces training soldiers of "country X" today on AFRICOM's website and soldiers from country X massacring civilians tomorrow on US public diplomacy. He should understand demographic trends (on a regional / country basis) intimately.

Finally, he should know Africa, not as "Africa" but as a continent of 54 different and unique nations.

I doubt such a person exists in the US Army.

Quote Originally Posted by KingJaja View Post
    ...I doubt such a person exists in the US Army.
    I think there are several 48's ("48" is/was the numerical designation for a US Army Foreign Area Officer) who do understand what you cited above in post #46. I am hoping that today's US Army appreciates this skill set more than yesterday's US Army. This of course would be due to the increased complexity of the world.

P.S. Just for the record I have never been a 48 or the counterpart known as a as a "38" for Civil Affairs. In my time 38's were generally in the US Army Reserve, not on active duty.

I doubt such a person exists in the US Army.
    Jaja,
    Before you go and sell us all short on the complexities of Africa, or, for that matter anywhere in the world, try a search on AFRICOM and FAO.

Lots of old friends, memories, disasters. What would life be without those ?

BTW, the information herein is basically free for you to peruse, but the decades that the US Military and her soldiers dedicated to the program were not.

What did a wise old Ranger tell me in 95 ? "It's my brain, don't waste it !"
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Council Member

Before you go and sell us all short on the complexities of Africa, or, for that matter anywhere in the world, try a search on AFRICOM and FAO.

Lots of old friends, memories, disasters. What would life be without those ?

BTW, the information herein is basically free for you to peruse, but the decades that the US Military and her soldiers dedicated to the program were not.

What did a wise old Ranger tell me in 95 ? "It's my brain, don't waste it !"
    Thanks for the info. I had looked at Gen. Carter Ham's CV and didn't see anything remotely connected to service in Africa there until he was made AFRICOM combatant commander (although I read somewhere that his parents were missionaries in Africa, and that he speaks Swahili).

Secondly, (I am no expert), why does the AFRICOM commander need to be a four star? It is not as if he has too many assets under his command.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 11-19-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Fix quote

Thanks for the info. I had looked at Gen. Carter Ham's CV and didn't see anything remotely connected to service in Africa there until he was made AFRICOM combatant commander (although I read somewhere that his parents were missionaries in Africa, and that he speaks Swahili).

Secondly, (I am no expert), why does the AFRICOM commander need to be a four star? It is not as if he has too many assets under his command.
    Sorry Jaja, I meant do a SWC search for those subjects. AFRICOM and FAOs have been discussed for nearly 5 years herein. Not something new.

That's a fair question. For some reason all the major commands have been 4 stars. I have no clue I am but a mere retired and grumpy SNCO.

Default No, no...

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    I am but a mere retired and grumpy SNCO.
    Us retarded senile non-sufficient ossifers are NOT grumpy -- WE are normal; others are just inadequately aroused.
    Last edited by Ken White; 05-16-2012 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Us retarded senile non-sufficient ossifers are NOT grumpy -- WE are normal; others are just inadequately aroused.
    That's a sweet looking patch. I could add it to my leathers, which would start even more stories about the "American spy in Estonia" riding a Harley

The last time I showed up at the Ambassadors with my LOM and Retired Army pin (just a smiggin above my good ol' NRA Life Member lapel pin) the conversations and future invitations seem to dwindle... SIGH

I managed to drink enough free beer to convince myself it was worth getting dressed and coming.

My admin boss, another real black beret wearer, swiftly took me to a local bar concerned over his retirement potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    ...real black beret wearer...
    Could you explain to us what that means?

Thanks.

Default "Prestige" -- dealing with peers...

The Geographic Combatant Commanders do a lot of face to face 'diplomacy' -- or the military to military equivalent -- with the commanders or Chiefs of Staff of Armies and Armed Forces in the nations in their area of responsibility. Military folks are notoriously rank sensitive...

That's why the French have no one star general and their equivalent to a US four star wears five French stars...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    That's why the French have no one star general and their equivalent to a US four star wears five French stars...
    And it doesn't end there. The Estonians go from E-1 to O-00 (a 3rd lieutenant if you will) in a breathtaking 5 years - talk about a pay raise

They've also done away with Brigadier (as if butter bars weren't already bad enough).

But, it's a good if not sad point regarding rank and military diplomatic events. There's so much power in the room it's humbling.