Thread: Guatemala (catch all)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    I guess they hadn't invented "pop-centric" yet.
    Well, Rios Montt did have the beans (for those toeing the government line) or bullets (for everyone else) thing. The civil war might have been shortened if he had been as dedicated to keeping the first part of the promise as he was to keeping the second.

It seems to me that history is telling us that the absolutely ruthless ways that the Guatemalan and Sri Lankan governments took to counterinsurgency are more likely to be successful than any post-9/11 COIN 2.0. And both of those still took decades!

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    But wait, isn't this the guy that Saint Ronald of Reagan said was "totally dedicated to Democracy"?
    One of the things an Estonian friend of mine and I share in common is time spent in Guatemala. He once told me, "You know how much I love Reagan and how much I appreciate what he did for my country, but he was dead wrong on Central America."
    Last edited by ganulv; 05-11-2013 at 11:54 PM.
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
    One of the things an Estonian friend of mine and I share in common is time spent in Guatemala. He once told me, "You know how much I love Reagan and how much I appreciate what he did for my country, but he was dead wrong on Central America."
    Coming from another place where Reagan had it dead wrong, it was a bit jarring to encounter Eastern Europeans who thought he was absolutely wonderful. Eventually realized, of course, that different places have different perspectives, and policies that were disastrous in one place may have been effective in others.

I vividly remember the day when (then VP) Bush I praised Ferdinand Marcos for his adherence to democracy and to democratic principles. I introduced myself as a Canadian for a while.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken