Thread: Russia, politics and power: internal & external(new title)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Carnegie Russia Analysis

The View from Moscow

Ironically, at the beginning of the twentieth century the Soviets were fiercely ideological, and the West was essentially practical and pragmatic. Now, the Russians have transformed themselves into raw-and-ready capitalists, and the West is lecturing them on values. From the Russian perspective, there is no absolute freedom anywhere in the world, no perfect democracy, and no government that does not lie to its people. In essence, all are equal by virtue of sharing the same imperfections. Some are more powerful than others, how-ever, and that is what really counts.
    http://www.carnegieendowment.org/pub...19111&prog=zru

Default A walk on the dark side

ACCORDING to VeriSign, one of the world’s largest internet security companies, RBN, an internet company based in Russia’s second city, St Petersburg, is “the baddest of the bad”. In a report seen by The Economist, VeriSign’s investigators unpick an extraordinary story of blatant cybercrime that implies high-level political backing.
    www.economist.com (Aug 30, 2007 Article ... you will need a subscription)

www.economist.com (Aug 30, 2007 Article ... you will need a subscription)[/QUOTE]

the article is posted free here:

http://www.europeanvoice.com/archive...e.asp?id=28753

Brian Krebs on Computer Security at the Washington Post has gone even further into this subject. A quick read with some excellent links and graphics.

Mapping the Russian Business Network

...McQuaid, who helps run the American Red Cross's IT networks, said the people behind RBN have taken notice that some network providers have chosen to block traffic originating from the St. Petersburg provider. ...he's recently seen attackers on RBN hiding the source and destination of their traffic by routing it through compromised home computers in the United States and in Europe as a way to evade blocking filters...

"What we're seeing now is RBN and some Chinese hacker groups are taking over machines in the U.S. and hosting malware or launching attacks from those machines, mainly because they realize their IP space is increasingly being blocked by the rest of the world,"
    SWC Council Member JeffC also has some great insight into the RBN

Default Google and the Wisdom of Clouds

One simple question. That's all it took for Christophe Bisciglia to bewilder confident job applicants at Google (GOOG). Bisciglia, an angular 27-year-old senior software engineer with long wavy hair, wanted to see if these undergrads were ready to think like Googlers. "Tell me," he'd say, "what would you do if you had 1,000 times more data?"
    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...tm?chan=search

Stan,

Thanks for the link. RBN and some it's ramifications are interesting stuff. Estonia seems to be an interesting place and I wonder if the cyberattack on it impacted you in any way that you would be interested in sharing? I found Praque to be a fun place but that's as far east as I have gone in Europe.

I spent a little time yesterday looking at salt, hash functions, SHA-1, usenet, and of course wondering about the strength of my sooper dooper virus protection. The geek engineer in me loves this stuff but my soldiering side knows the power of a man on the scene with a gun.

Jeff - C,

This is one of the points where I have been hopping off the side of the pool into the water (brrgghh) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Business_Network do you have any other suggestions?

Steve

Default The OpenNet Initiative is a collaborative partnership of four leading academic instit

The CIS region is experiencing a general trend toward greater regulation and control of the national information space, which includes the Internet. Although most CIS countries do not practice the substantive or pervasive filtering—Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan excepted—Internet content control through regulation or intimidation is growing throughout the region. In most cases, the legislative and judicial framework for filtering (or other restrictions) is ambiguous and open to interpretation. Moreover the laws are often unevenly applied, with “flexible” implementation often paired with other more subtle (but effective) measures designed to promote self-restraint (or self–censorship) of both ISP providers as well as content producers. Information control—in particular the protection of national informational space—is clearly an issue of concern throughout the CIS, and has encouraged more stringent attention to telecommunications surveillance (as has been happening in other parts of the world, most notably the United States). In addition, measures to protect regimes in power and stifle opposition are often couched in the language of “national security,” and have resulted in the development of new measures and techniques aimed at temporally "shaping" access to information at strategic moments, such as “event-based filtering.” Another innovation that merits further investigation is “upstream filtering.” Although these new measures are not present in all CIS countries, they are indicative of a new seriousness with which strategies for information control are being developed.

In 2007 a number of critical elections will take place in Russia and several other CIS countries. In the Russian case, exiled billionaire Boris Berezovsky has expressed his intent to overturn the existing regime. The Internet and other forms of communications technologies are expected to play an important role in the electoral process, and as such they will no doubt be the object of many actors’ attention.

Last, the re-emergence of stronger states in the region following more than a decade of transition, and general unhappiness concerning U.S. policies in the region (which have, over the past ten years, promoted media freedom and an active if foreign-funded civil society), is also sparking a degree of “blow-back” and renewed competition between East and West. For example, ONI research found that many “.mil” sites are not reachable in the CIS, suggesting that these may be subject to “supply-side” filtering by U.S. authorities.19 Between greater assertiveness on the part of CIS states and the stimulus of renewed interstate competition, the CIS is a region to watch as a global actor shaping norms that will govern the Internet into the future.
    http://opennet.net/research/regions/cis

Default Russian Security Strategy under Vladimir Putin: Russian and American Perspectives

The “great game” for access to Caspian resources
    has led to a healthy diversification of export arteries for
    which there is an objective need. It has helped the new
    independent states of the region find traction in their
    dealings with the great powers who have become rivals
    for regional influence. The rivalry is still underway
    nonetheless. In the Caspian region, in the words of
    Régis Genté, oil and natural gas “also represent the
    means by which a struggle to control the center of
    the Eurasian continent is waged.”29
    http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute....cfm?pubID=829

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Surferbeetle View Post
    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...tm?chan=search

Jeff - C,

This is one of the points where I have been hopping off the side of the pool into the water (brrgghh) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Business_Network do you have any other suggestions?

Steve
    Hi Steve -

A French security expert named David Bizeul wrote the best study I've ever read on the RBN. I covered it here, along with a link to the .pdf.

However, another important group to watch is Rock Phish.

And don't miss the CloudMark study on the Economics of Phishing by Chris Abad. A link to that study is in my Rock Phish post above.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    SWC Council Member JeffC also has some great insight into the RBN
    Thanks for the hat tip, Stan. I added my two cents worth below.
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 01-10-2008 at 10:19 PM.

Hey Steve !

Quote Originally Posted by Surferbeetle View Post

Stan,

Thanks for the link. RBN and some it's ramifications are interesting stuff. Estonia seems to be an interesting place and I wonder if the cyberattack on it impacted you in any way that you would be interested in sharing? I found Praque to be a fun place but that's as far east as I have gone in Europe.

Steve
    Although some believe that the RBN financially supported the riots here, no one has yet to point the finger at them for the cyber attacks. The attacks affected nearly every government server, including ours at the MOI and emergency services. Kaur and I have kept up with this since it started. Check here and scroll down to #56 dated 05/04/07 (where Kaur first realizes his access was lost).

Regards, Stan

Council Member

Default Internet use in Russia

The number of sites on the Russian Internet grew by 66 percent in 2007, and the total number of such sites is on track to top two million by the end of 2008, the study said. But only one in five of the dot RU domains is located outside of the Russian capital, and their number is growing slightly more slowly than that in Moscow.
    Approximately 57 percent of Muscovites now go online regularly, the study concluded, while only 40 percent of those in other Russian cities of more than 100,000 currently do so. And in small cities and rural areas, the figure is still below 20 percent, although that number is growing.
    http://windowoneurasia.blogspot.com/...se-varies.html

Default :eek:

From today's NYT

There have been some recent successes, but they are short-lived. On Nov. 11, the volume of spam, which transports the malware, dropped by half around the globe after an Internet service provider disconnected the McColo Corporation, an American firm with Russian ties, from the Internet. But the respite is not expected to last long as cybercriminals regain control of their spam-generating computers.

“Modern worms are stealthier and they are professionally written,” said Bruce Schneier, chief security technology officer for British Telecom. “The criminals have gone upmarket, and they’re organized and international because there is real money to be made.”
    Sapere Aude

Council Member Beelzebubalicious's Avatar

Ironically, I think the biggest hindrance to the spread of spam and viruses is the poor quality of the English in these messages. I routinely get clever and well designed spam with some horrible English errors.