Thread: Russia, politics and power: internal & external(new title)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default These werewolves in epaulettes

The Moscow Times reports "Putin scolded Cherkesov in Kommersant for publicly airing dirty laundry but on Oct. 20 created a new state committee to fight illegal drugs and named Cherkesov as its chief."

KGB Vets Call for End to Turf War

A group of retired senior KGB officials have called on the country's security services to end a turf war between competing agencies that has turned into a bitter public conflict.

In an open letter published Wednesday in the ultranationalist newspaper Zavtra, the retired officials -- including General Vladimir Kryuchkov, the last KGB chief -- warned security services of the consequences of infighting.

Security services should be a source of stability in the country, not one of discord that can be exploited by "foreign and domestic destructive forces," they wrote.

Default wow

It is being reported that Semion Mogilevich has been arrested in Moscow.

Council Member Beelzebubalicious's Avatar

The brainy don caught for tax evasion....I wonder how many oligarchs pay taxes? anyone know what the percentage of Russian citizens pay taxes? How many are prosecuted? Not that it really matters...

The bigger story is the links to New York Bank, and alleged sales of arms and tanks to Iran...He laundered $10 billion through the Bank of New York in the 90s, but...

Last year the company settled its part of a federal investigation into a Russian money laundering ring, agreeing to pay $26 million in fines and repay $12 million in fees to other banks that may have lost money.
    Ouch - that almost hurt

http://www.forbes.com/2007/05/17/bon..._0517suit.html

Also note that:

Russia’s customs service said that it was suing the Bank of New York for $22.5 billion (£11.3 billion) in compensation for an alleged money-laundering scheme in which US companies colluded with Russian banks to defraud its Government.
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle1805811.ece

I wonder now if "Russia's Customs Service" will now be compensated for the wrongs done to them by this bad, bad man...

Of course, all these excesses of the 90s are now cleaned up and our illustrious financial institutions have much tighter controls...

I'm sorry, but the only way to approach this subject is to pour on the sarcasm and let it drip...

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubalicious View Post
    I'm sorry, but the only way to approach this subject is to pour on the sarcasm and let it drip...
    Sarcasm is always appreciated on my end. I think a healthy cynicism on this matter is more than warranted, and any questions we may have here about justice should be deferred for the time being. What does this mean though? Is this related to the power struggle? Windrow dressing for the rule of law?