Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
Bill,

The media here have reported several Italian ministers saying that they might have to act over the chaos in Libya. Italy has stronger links to Libya than most European nations, leaving aside the flow of refugees via Libya to southern Italy and its islands.

Given that Italy ceased its naval and other agency refugee interception and rescue operation in late 2014, one must wonder what they resources can deploy.
Influx of refugees create huge problems, especially with the current trend of radicalization now more than ever. India and Pakistan learned that the hard way. But in case of Europe in general and Italy in specific, it could be a somewhat less difficult of an issue. Internally strong, excellent police and intelligence apparatus (I assume) and sorry to say but racial profiling. All these factors are strongly in favour of Italy.

But externally, I am not very sure of the Italian military's capabilities to fight whatever it is they intend to fight.

I could be wrong and would like to be corrected if that's the case but when an entire of generation of post cold war soldiers and officers assuming that they are never going to fight a war, conventional or not, things could get complacent in terms of mindset and preparation.