Thread: US Internal Security Redux

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default US Internal Security Redux

In 2008, former KGB intelligence analyst Igor Panarin predicted the United States would collapse in 2010. As a 30 year veteran of the Russian intelligence service, he based his conclusions on three primary factors: mass migration, economic decline and moral degradation. Conducting this type of strategic analysis is not unique to the KGB and it is routinely performed by the US Intelligence Community on foreign governments. Thankfully that prediction has come and gone and fortunately the United States is still in existence.

Background link to Igor Panarin, note he is no trace on Amazon.com for his own books:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Panarin

Based on recent events around the world and within the United States, it may be the opportune time to revisit Pararin’s analysis and examine what the potential is for his predictions to actually come to fruition. There is no greater threat to US national security than the collapse of the constitutional form of government or some form of violent, revolutionary movement within the United States. As Dr. Jeffery Sachs of Columbia University noted:
    The U.S. is even more extreme [than London]. We have a more broken and serious underclass right now -we have a pressure cooker in the United States. It hasn't exploded that way, but it is a real pressure cooker.
    Quote appears within a transcript:http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1.../fzgps.01.html

This is certainly not a pleasant topic to discuss but the impacts would be far more devastating than an early withdrawal from Afghanistan or a WMD attack on a major city.

As Cynthia Grabo points out in, Anticipating Surprise: Analysis for Strategic Warning, a classic work for intelligence analysts involved in strategic analysis, the first step in conducting strategic analysis of this sort is to develop an indicator list of key factors that would signal the actions an adversary. For this problem there is not a clearly defined adversary so we must build a new conceptual framework. Current counterinsurgency doctrine may provide a useful starting point. The US environment should be examined on three broad factors: economic, governance and internal security. Much has been written recently about the first two factors so I will cover them briefly and provide more detail on the third factor.

Link:http://www.amazon.com/Anticipating-S...3808871&sr=1-1

Economic
    The downgrade of US credit by Standard and Poor’s is most likely just the tip of the iceberg. As NY Times economist Paul Krugman recently pointed out, the economy was not as good as reported over the past two years and underemployment is a significant concern. He notes:
    Not only are vast numbers of Americans unemployed or underemployed, for the first time since the Great Depression many American workers are facing the prospect of very-long-term — maybe permanent — unemployment.
    Appears within an article:http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/05/op...g-worries.html

Large groups of underutilized males lend themselves to flash points of nefarious activity. This factor, along with an unsustainable national debt, stagnant GDP and increased international competition, paint a grim economic picture for the US in the years ahead.

Governance
    The rationale for the S&P downgrade was actually not based on the future of the US economy; it was more of a statement on the poor state of our governance. Specifically S&P noted:
    The political brinksmanship of recent months highlights what we see as America's governance and policymaking becoming less stable, less effective, and less predictable than what we previously believed. The statutory debt ceiling and the threat of default have become political bargaining chips in the debate over fiscal policy.
    Congress is often referred to as the “broken branch” and the current debate is whether this session of Congress is the most broken in our nation’s history. Public opinion polls seem to bear this fact out. Political infighting and a focus on reelection efforts seem to trump US national interests. Unfortunately under our two party system and without term limits, few options for realistic governance reform exists.

Internal Security
    Emerging concepts of modern warfare: Unconventional Warfare, Hybrid Warfare, and 4GW each include criminal activity as a component of the theory. Does the hubris of the national security community assume these types of warfare cannot or will not be practiced on US soil? Perhaps even conducted by US citizens?

There are several functional areas that I would further develop into to an indicator list intended to warn national leadership of unfavorable conditions regarding US Internal Security:
    • Civil Disturbances
    • Illegal Immigration
    • Transnational Organized Crime
    • Radicalization
    • US Criminal Justice System

Each of these issues poses a national security concern, yet because of their political sensitivities, they are often ignored by the national security community. Many feel because the US is a democracy these issues will simply resolve themselves through the democratic process. However I have seen no significant effort or political will to address these issues over the past several decades and each appears to get worse with time.

I pose the following questions to members of the council:
    • Are these domestic issues national security concerns? (use whatever definition of national security you prefer)
    • Will these issues eventually be resolved through the democratic process?
    • If the economy continues on its current path, will social unrest/civil disturbance increase? Will they turn more violent?
    • Could foreign influence make these domestic issue worse?
    • What role does citizenship (not the legal process of becoming a citizen) play in National Security?
    • Should the US reshape its national security investment strategy to better address these issues?

Others interested in this field of study should add their questions to the list.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 12-13-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Citations in quotes, PM to author on how. Links added after exchange with author

Council Member

Posted by Jack_Gander,

In 2008, former KGB intelligence analyst Igor Panarin predicted the United States would collapse in 2010. As a 30 year veteran of the Russian intelligence service, he based his conclusions on three primary factors: mass migration, economic decline and moral degradation. Conducting this type of strategic analysis is not unique to the KGB and it is routinely performed by the US Intelligence Community on foreign governments.
    I don't lightly dismiss analysis of our country conducted by a foreign intelligence service, because I suspect in some cases they're better equipped to exam the situation objectively and let the facts speak for themselves. The KGB allegedly always predicted who the winner of our presidential elections would be. That wouldn't surprise me if true, because I think we understand enemy networks better than friendly networks. However, I don't see migration as a threat, and moral degradation to a communist is capitalism (the Marxists have been waiting for capitalism to collapse on itself for over a 100 years now, and someday they may be right, but I don't see it in the immediate future), and economic decline can cause a nation to collapse, but normally it just weakens it, and in our case I suspect we'll see a return to economic highs again.

There is no greater threat to US national security than the collapse of the constitutional form of government or some form of violent, revolutionary movement within the United States. As Dr. Jeffery Sachs of Columbia University noted, “The U.S. is even more extreme [than London]. We have a more broken and serious underclass right now -we have a pressure cooker in the United States. It hasn't exploded that way, but it is a real pressure cooker.” This is certainly not a pleasant topic to discuss but the impacts would be far more devastating than an early withdrawal from Afghanistan or a WMD attack on a major city.
    Actually an internal revolution within the U.S. may be the only existential threat, and agreed it is a much greater threat than downsizing in Afganistan, but how probable is it? The President described economic disparity has the greatest challenge of our time. I think that is what Dr. Sachs is referring to, and I tend to agree with that assessment. I can't recall any government in recent history (the last 50 years or so) that saw a revolution forming, most states stay in denial as long as possible.

Congress is often referred to as the “broken branch” and the current debate is whether this session of Congress is the most broken in our nation’s history. Public opinion polls seem to bear this fact out. Political infighting and a focus on reelection efforts seem to trump US national interests. Unfortunately under our two party system and without term limits, few options for realistic governance reform exists.
    It can be argued that what we're seeing is a functional democracy, but with the exception of threatening to cut DOD spending, how this really impacted our national security? Seems a little like hyperbole to me at this point.

Emerging concepts of modern warfare: Unconventional Warfare, Hybrid Warfare, and 4GW each include criminal activity as a component of the theory. Does the hubris of the national security community assume these types of warfare cannot or will not be practiced on US soil? Perhaps even conducted by US citizens?

There are several functional areas that I would further develop into to an indicator list intended to warn national leadership of unfavorable conditions regarding US Internal Security:
    • Civil Disturbances
    • Illegal Immigration
    • Transnational Organized Crime
    • Radicalization
    • US Criminal Justice System
    Most of these theories have been around at a couple of decades, and UW has been around forever. I agree that many don't consider the possibility of these forms of warfare being waged within the U.S., but I think it is happening all the time at a low level. As for your indicators, I can agree with the first four, but did you intend when you posted the "U.S. Criminal Justice system" as an indicator?

Each of these issues poses a national security concern, yet because of their political sensitivities, they are often ignored by the national security community. Many feel because the US is a democracy these issues will simply resolve themselves through the democratic process. However I have seen no significant effort or political will to address these issues over the past several decades and each appears to get worse with time.

I pose the following questions to members of the council:
    • Are these domestic issues national security concerns? (use whatever definition of national security you prefer)
    The short answer is no, I think we have internal security concerns, but not from immigration, political polarization, etc.

• Will these issues eventually be resolved through the democratic process?
    One would hope so, but we won't know until time passes.

• If the economy continues on its current path, will social unrest/civil disturbance increase? Will they turn more violent?
    Maybe, but I suspect the people will just adjust to a lower standard of living, unless their is a perception of unfairness.

• Could foreign influence make these domestic issue worse?
    Definitely, a foreign entity could wage political and economic warfare against us, the KGB did. Would it ultimately be successful?

• What role does citizenship (not the legal process of becoming a citizen) play in National Security?
    Citizenship is a legal status, and I doubt it contributes much to national security, but a sense of national identity/patriotism is critical.

• Should the US reshape its national security investment strategy to better address these issues?
    I think it already has to a large degree, what do you think we're missing?

Default 19th and 20th Century United States

Hi Jack,

Building off of Bill Moore's comments, have you looked at 19th and 20th century concerns of internal revolution? The debates are fascinating. Sometimes, the facts were skewed to propaganda for political agendas. Sometimes, it was a bit of fear-mongering. Many times, it was simply the fear of change as the US became a melting pot, granted equal rights to everyone, and went through the Industrial Revolution.

Mike

Council Member

Default Reply to Bill

It can be argued that what we're seeing is a functional democracy, but with the exception of threatening to cut DOD spending, how this really impacted our national security? Seems a little like hyperbole to me at this point.
    There are several reasons:

1. The federal debt is a national security concern for a variety of reasons. The inability of Congress to slow or eliminate deficit spending should be of great concern.
    2. Congress has failed to enact meaningful legislation on a variety on national security issues, immigration reform for example.
    3. Of particular interest to COIN practitioners is the issue of corruption. As a friend from the IC told me when he was recently in Afghanistan, he spoke to a Gov’t official regarding corruption. The official laughed in his face and told him to go home and fix the problems on “K Street” first, then come back and lecture them about corruption.
    4. As a senior political appointee told me Congress is just doing their job and actually representing their constituents. The gridlock in Congress is just an indicator of how divided our country is on many issues.

I can agree with the first four, but did you intend when you posted the "U.S. Criminal Justice system" as an indicator?
    Absolutely!
    • The US prison system are the school houses of radicalization. Pick your flavor – white supremacists, Mexican gangs or jihad. This is a global trend.
    • Prisons serve as “Centers of Excellence” for transnational crime. Some prisoners leave prison better citizens; some leave better criminals. It is a great place to share best practices, network and improve your tradecraft.
    • Prison has become a fact of life or even a badge of honor for certain groups in the US. It has lost its deterrent effect.
    • The failed criminal justice system is an underlying cause of social unrest in the US dating back to the post Civil War era.
    I would recommend reading Collapse of The American Criminal Justice System by William Stuntz on this topic:http://www.amazon.com/Collapse-Ameri...3794152&sr=8-1

Also, Fabius Maxium has a great review on their blog:http://fabiusmaximus.wordpress.com/2011/09/19/28991/ and http://fabiusmaximus.wordpress.com/2011/09/20/29087/

Actually an internal revolution within the U.S. may be the only existential threat, and agreed it is a much greater threat than downsizing in Afganistan, but how probable is it?
    Revolution or Collapse may not be the outcome. However these same factors have limited the US’s ability to project power. Military Power or coercion only goes so far. Is America today the same “Shining City upon a Hill” that Reagan spoke of?

The short answer is no, I think we have internal security concerns, but not from immigration, political polarization, etc.
    The USG recently released policy documents to the contrary. Particularly on radicalization and transnational crime (this does not include the War on Drugs).

I think there were many lessons missed in Wisconsin the past summer. Protest against austerity measures shut down the state gov’t. If this had been a prolonged effort and the protesters were without basic needs (9 meals from anarchy) the outcomes may not have been as peaceful. Austerity measures, particularly at the state level, are coming – the “can” can only be kicked so many times.

Political Polarization may be a soft characterization of real social unrest. There were groups of US citizens in the 1960 who advocated violent revolution in the US and wanted to bring the war to US soil. I’m not saying that is in play now, but I’ve read comparisons of the civil disturbances of today to those of 1968. What do you see as a means to calm the growing unrest or tension?

Definitely, a foreign entity could wage political and economic warfare against us, the KGB did. Would it ultimately be successful?
    There was some fairly recent research done at Harvard on the “moveon.org” movement a few years ago. I am not commenting on their political views but it was an interesting look how the internet could be used by non-us citizens to influence US politics. Dependence on information systems only makes this vulnerability worse.

I think it already has to a large degree, what do you think we're missing?
    DoD, DHS and Federal Law Enforcement budgets increased significantly over the past decade. With efforts underway to reduce federal spending, it’s difficult to predict how the latter two will fare. Another indicator of our national investment is the amount of funds committed to PME. We send thousands of military officers to graduate school each year to counter the external threat (I would say that SWJ reaps the benefits from this investment) yet there is no educational system to support other agencies involved in domestic issues to this degree. I find it interesting that military officers at NORTHCOM are better educated on homeland security affairs than are DHS personnel. For state and local practitioners on the front line everyday, training is a luxury – education is out of the question.

DHS, and Federal, State and local Law enforcement agencies are facing the same "tough choices" as is the DoD. There is no mechanism in place to balance the entire national security portfolio.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 12-13-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Help author with citations put in quote marks and last add links given by author

Council Member

Default To Mike

I haven’t looked into those areas yet. This line of thinking was not the original intent of my research. Hopefully if the stars align, I’ll be headed back to school this fall and devote more brain cells to this issue.

You are correct, though. These are politically charged issues so it is a challenge to get to the facts. I attempted to pull some information from the GW Cold War Research Center on Soviet Influence in the US counterculture movement and I got zero support. I can't read Russian so I was out of luck.

Default Penalty of being old.

LINK.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Gander View Post
    ...Of particular interest to COIN practitioners is the issue of corruption. As a friend from the IC told me when he was recently in Afghanistan, he spoke to a Gov’t official regarding corruption. The official laughed in his face and told him to go home and fix the problems on “K Street” first, then come back and lecture them about corruption.
    Heh. The Afghan had a very good point. See below.
    As a senior political appointee told me Congress is just doing their job and actually representing their constituents. The gridlock in Congress is just an indicator of how divided our country is on many issues.
    True dat. I'm hitting 80 and that has been true all my life; we're just more vocal about it and we communicate so much more efficiently and rapidly. The 24 hour news cycle has a lot to answer for...
    Military Power or coercion only goes so far. Is America today the same “Shining City upon a Hill” that Reagan spoke of?
    The first item has always been true but many of our not terribly wise Politicians do not know or accept that. Nor did many of their predecessors over the past couple of centuries. That factor and politics in general make Reagan's statement a myth. We've always been just as self focused and devious as any other big power; perhaps even more so than most if not all. Shining city on a hill we are not -- and that's okay, no one else is that either...

Politicians say a lot of stupid stuff that's just plain wrong and they know that when the mouth it. The Afghan had a good point because K Street is simply the current manifestation of a 220 plus year old tradition. Read the tale of the building of the USS Constitution and her sisters. Lobbying and political chicanery are more American than Apple Pie. So are less than wise furrin adventures -- though most of the small one work out well; it's the big ones that we do not do well.
    Austerity measures, particularly at the state level, are coming – the “can” can only be kicked so many times.
    Probably true and there will be upset. The fascinating thing is that at State level, 'austerity' is required mostly due to excessive Federal expenditure and the Feds oversized take of the tax receipts. Either way, there will be hate and discontent as the current generations inf power and those soon to have power seem rather selfish.
    What do you see as a means to calm the growing unrest or tension?
    Probably not much that can be done to calm it, it will probably be contained but we will do that rather ineptly -- it's the American way.
    DHS, and Federal, State and local Law enforcement agencies are facing the same "tough choices" as is the DoD. There is no mechanism in place to balance the entire national security portfolio.
    Heh. That, too, is the American way.

The good news is that most people are going to behave reasonably decently and we'll muddle through.

Council Member

Default To Ken

Ken, I must respectfully disagree with you regarding your assessment of the “Shining City on the Hill” quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    That factor and politics in general make Reagan's statement a myth. We've always been just as self focused and devious as any other big power; perhaps even more so than most if not all. Shining city on a hill we are not -- and that's okay, no one else is that either...
    I have heard several personal accounts, in particular, I was the sponsor for a Latvian Officer attending school in the US in the mid-90s, of the effect of Voice of America during the Cold War. Residents of Soviet controlled areas risked their lives just to listen to the broadcasts. Their vision of America (despite our internal problems) provided them a glimmer of hope in an otherwise dire situation.

You are correct that America has had internal problems throughout our history. No credible literature exists to determine how today’s issues rank against those of our past. However, as you mentioned, our “business” is instantly available to a global audience and that has affected our national interests. Both AQ and China have used our internal problems to advance their “hearts and minds” campaign.