Thread: Khmer Rouge Insurgency 1978-

Council Member

Default Khmer Rouge Insurgency 1978-

I'm looking for recommendations for books that cover the Khmer Rouge insurgency post-December 1978 (after the Vietnamese invaded). I'm running into a wall so far, does anyone know where I might be able to find anything on this, or was there just nothing published covering this era aside from newspapers, periodicals, etc.? Any help or guidance anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated...thank you.

Default Khmer Rouge RFI

I do recall that in a bizarre twist of power politics the UK and I suspect others provided SOF trainers to the insurgents, notably in the use of mines. Using facilities in Thailand or just across the border. So maybe the de-mining campaign groups are a starting point?

Slightly hazy now, is there material in the pre-UN deployment situation? Reports on what had happened after 1978. So checking UN and peacekeeping websites / institutes might help, notably in Australia and Canada (Lester Pearson Centre).
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Thanks...I'll check those out.

Council Member

Crawford--Couple of books for your consideration...Brother Enemy. The War After the War. A History of Indochina Since the Fall of Saigon. By Nayan Chanda, Pub:Harcourt Brace Yovanovich, 1986:http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Enemy-...3853723&sr=1-4

Also, Pol Pot, Anatomy of a Nightmare . This 2004 biography of Pol Pot by Philip Short provides some coverage of the period in which you're interested, although understandably, an account of the lifetime of Pol Pot won't devote that many pages to post-1979:http://www.amazon.com/Pol-Pot-Nightm...3853811&sr=1-1

Nayan Chanda wrote for the now defunct Far East Economic Review...As a subscriber during the period in question, I recall a virtual plethora of articles on the subject--You might try to access....

Also, you might try looking for/at papers written by Kenneth Quinn...He authored a number on Cambodia, I'm just not sure whether they covered the period in question or the Vietnam War years. Fellow former CORDS guy Ken was one of the few genuine Cambodia experts in DOS...As I dimly recall, his PhD thesis was on Cambodian history...

Best of luck.
    Cheers,
    Mike.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 12-14-2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Add links

Council Member

I've actually got the book about Pol Pot...I'll check out Brother Enemy. Thank you for the rec.