Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: China's internal troubles (not the Far West)

燕山剑

Angry Wow riots in Bobai China against brutal 'one-child' blitz!

Moderator's Note. In February 2013 three older, smaller threads on internal disorder were merged into this thread. A year later the Tienanmen Square attack and the Kunming train station attack thread were merged in.

There is a separate thread in the Central Asia theme, for China's Far West provinces (inc. Tibet), with 131 posts and 79k views. It mainly covers the Uighur / ETIM violence and China's response
    :http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...read.php?t=246

"Many women have been forced to have abortions. Authorities are going into their homes and destroying their homes to implement the policy," said a woman in Bobai county.

People here said, birth control bureaucrats showed up in a half-dozen towns with sledgehammers and threatened to knock holes in the homes of people who had failed to pay fines imposed for having more than one child. Other family planning officials, backed by hired toughs, pushed their way into businesses owned by parents of more than one child and confiscated everything from sacks of rice to color televisions, they said.

Bobai was at the heart of riots that erupted late last week across Guangxi region and saw thousands of people take to the streets in anger against local authorities' efforts to enforce China's so-called "one-child policy".

The CCP has devoted the nation’s resources to destroying China’s independant thinking,uproot all independent organisations. With better social security and pay ,who will have so many children?
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 01-03-2016 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Update Mod's Note

Exclamation And now what?

Chinese Patriot League,

At first I thought you were a spammer. Almost banned you.

On second look, I see you have a cause. And it looks like you took the time to post in an appropriate forum. Thanks.

You are welcome to continue to post objective observations of significant developments on the ground, and to engage as a member in rational discussion with others. I'm leaving these posts up only because I have a glimmer of hope that you have something more to say, and will say it without cut & paste sloganism.

Don't make this a rant, and don't make random calls for activism a habit. We don't go for that here.

How would boycotting the Olympics help? What are the other options? How does it connect to the one child policy?

P.S. For our non-Chinese readers, here's the Google translation of the Chinese portion of the post above.
    According to the report in the Apple Daily, violence by local officials to implement "family planning" (one-child) policy triggered by the Guangxi Bobai County townships of mass anti-tyranny incident. On the 17th of this month from the beginning of the incident spread Bobai County townships, The angry villagers caught fire up the township government program of the Office of the Health Station, smashing burning cars, motorcycles and other objects. On the 20th Bobai emergency authorities from neighboring Guigang, and the north, such as Rong, transferred a large number of police force to control the situation in the townships. According to local sources, the government has requested the villages were unemployed when the "Task Force" to see women can do Rafah sterilization surgery "but no one to see objects that were not on the demolition," Nabuzou it smashed, Sasha meters depth. TAN Lian town of a secondary school girls and a 50-year-old woman was picked up by recruiters surgery resulted in a number of ruined the incident. He refers to the residents, "Now the whole Bobai County streets, everywhere was covered with a 『beat SU (Mr. White County Chief), and shot Huang Shao-ming (Mr. White County)』 slogans farmer who was forced to the fire. "At present, Bobai all tense inside, outside, a police car along the street in possession of a large number of public security, County 200-meter passage on a large number of plainclothes police, more government officials on duty on the streets to prevent public access.

Council Member

-it's just hard to keep hormones suppressed, much like keeping safety standards in mines intact over there. It seems the booming economy in China is rippling in many ways and not all for the better.

Council Member

On the other hand, China appears to take corruption seriously. According to this FOX report, they are going to execute their former drug regulator. It appears he gave the nod of approval for some cash to some drugs that killed a few people.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,276035,00.html

Council Member

China's been a corporation for the past decade ... I guess they need to start running a government now.

With a booming economy, they have to deal with booming birthrates. I really don't have an good answer to their 1.3 billion people 'problem' though.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by goesh View Post
    On the other hand, China appears to take corruption seriously. According to this FOX report, they are going to execute their former drug regulator. It appears he gave the nod of approval for some cash to some drugs that killed a few people.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,276035,00.html

If I had to guess the future government of China, I think that they're going to go back to Confucianism (or Meritocracy ... as the ethnic Chinese setup in Singapore ... how is the Communist government to stop the Han Chinese from being Chinese.)

With that, you'll probably see the same laws as the Signaporeans.

Council Member

aawww but Confucianism hates merchants because they dont produce anything, and I really doubt the leaders of China will turn their back on merchants in favour of some perfect past society which never in fact existed!

I dont see the Communists giving up power any time soon

I agree that one-party rule in China isn't going away any time soon. Singapore is a likely model, but probably what we'll see is a mix of Singapore, Malaysia, S. Korea, Japan and, ironically, Taiwan.

China is less opaque than we think. It's driven by a desire to increase national wealth (including standard of living) and prestige while maintaining stability. It's doesn't take years of study to figure this out, they've been saying it since Deng Xiaoping took power and still. say it all the time

If you're interested in a theory about political change in China that isn't the "China Will be a World-Dominating Superpower," or "China is our Friend and Just Wants to be Like the United States," check out Suisheng Zhao's, "A Nation-State by Construction: Dynamics of Modern Chinese Nationalism," or any of his stuff on Chinese nationalism. He takes the view that China is, and has been since the late 19th c., driven more by nationalism than any other ideology.

燕山剑

Angry

With a booming economy...
    But many feel the GDP comes from inflation.
    house,food,and all are more expensive.China is falling into capitalism of 1800s,before
    the October Revolution . Many here are envying the captalism in Taiwan,no
    mentioning Sweden,expecting Ma Yingjiu.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by WVO View Post
    I agree that one-party rule in China isn't going away any time soon. Singapore is a likely model, but probably what we'll see is a mix of Singapore, Malaysia, S. Korea, Japan and, ironically, Taiwan.

China is less opaque than we think. It's driven by a desire to increase national wealth (including standard of living) and prestige while maintaining stability.

Yeah, Singapore ... heck, even Japan has been ruled by 1 party since they installed a parliamentary system.

Though, it will take China a while to have that. The Chinese are afraid of foreign meddling/influence in their political affairs if they were to be more politically open ... especially since they have a long road ahead of them.

China is like watching the Industrial Revolution, the Great Deppression and the 1950's (and all the problems that came during those periods) going on at once.

燕山剑

Red face A missish minister of China sentenced to death!

Zheng Xiaoyu, former director of China's State Food and Drug Administration (SFDA), was sentenced to death by a Beijing court Tuesday morning.

The bribes taken by Zheng, including cash and gifts, were worth more than 6.49 million yuan (about 850,000 U.S. dollars), according to the court. The bribes were given either directly or through his wife and son.

The consequences of Zheng's dereliction of duty have proved extremely serious. Six types of medicine approved by the administration during that period were fake medicines. Some pharmaceutical companies used false documents to apply for approvals, the court said.

How hapless! If he had flattered Jiang or Hu more,he would die?
    Last edited by SWCAdmin; 05-30-2007 at 11:10 AM. Reason: removed Chinese "version". We are an English language board.

If only we could get our politicians to worry about being executed for corruption. Hell, I'd be happy with just some jail time!
    "But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet withstanding, go out to meet it."

-Thucydides

Council Member

Amen to that - I'd like to see the convicted crooks at least do some hard time instead of resting at some cushy, countryclub joint

燕山剑

Lightbulb China's elementary school teachers need better salaries!

The headmasters are keen on cost. Elementary school teachers are paid as badly as unskilled workers! For example,one in Beijing gets a little more than 1000 yuan a month.They have to pluralize and can not concentrate on their pupils.

The commie regime of China says that teachers are in the civil servant system.But it is not serious about this.In fact ,the bureaucrats only care about themselves and bribers.

All professionals ,including teachers,engineers,accountants etc are all regarded as rebellious.Of course! Thinking people see right through the propaganda and know there is a better way.While GDP inflates and inflates,the Chinese Communist Party monopolize moer and more money, the professionals are falling into relative poverty.

I thought pretty much everyone in China is paid badly.Whitout indepent trade uions,they can not earn better.
    Last edited by SWCAdmin; 06-07-2007 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Stop posting extra Chinese text without direct translation or at least an intro!

Council Member

Default Slave Raids In China! Another Crack In the Great Wall

The newspaper I picked up this morning had a small post about this. In central China, police rescued 217 people, including 29 children, who had been forced to work in brick kilns as slaves. The brief article said the internet sparked a national furor when a bunch of fathers started trying to track down their sons who they believed had been sold as slaves. Of all things, the internet..........Here's the MSNBC article on it:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19224794/

"Last week, state media reported the rescue of 31 people, forced to work for a year as slaves at a brickworks run by the son of a local Communist Party official in Shanxi."
    Last edited by goesh; 06-15-2007 at 12:26 PM. Reason: addition of a tid-bit from the article

Default Beijing Wary Of Rising Tide Of Veterans' Discontent

Bear with me : this article touched on the fairly large population of disgruntled Chinese veterans (core being the Sino-Viet '79 vets), their efforts at organizing public disobedience and the potentials of them becoming a political force (or loose-cannon, depending on your perspective).

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=128852968

A consequence of China's military modernization program is that some veterans have been left behind, which has led them to protest their condition. Once the backbone of the communist revolution, soldiers are now considered among the groups that should be suppressed.

China has embarked on an ambitious program to streamline its military, cutting manpower and improving technology. But some demobilized soldiers have fallen through the cracks and have taken to the streets to protest lack of jobs, health care and other benefits. It is a seldom-seen aspect of China's military modernization that has the Chinese government worried.
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

I remember I was once on a train in China when a fellow came down the aisle on his knuckle calling out stuff. My translator told me he was a soldier who lost his legs somehow in service and he was asking for money to support him and his family. I got a brief chance to talk to the guy and it turns out they didn't even pay the guy out a pension, just turfed him out of the army.

So really, no wonder old soldiers there are pissed off.

Default China's internal troubles (not the Far West)

Not just the Western reaches....

BEIJING– For years, in the name of social harmony, China’s ruling Communist Party has been highly successful in masking, placating or simply distorting the tens of thousands of protests – dubbed “mass demonstrations” – that occur here ever year.
    The Wukan rebellion will prove a tougher dilemma for Beijing to solve.
    From The Telegraph newspaper’s Malcolm Moore comes details of the stunning story of Wukan, a fishing village of 20,000 in China’s southern Guangdong Province. Earlier this week, the entire town rose up and threw out local party officials and police forces following years of having the people’s land sold out from underneath them.
    http://behindthewall.msnbc.msn.com/

For the first time on record, the Chinese Communist party has lost all control, with the population of 20,000 in this southern fishing village now in open revolt.
    The last of Wukan’s dozen party officials fled on Monday after thousands of people blocked armed police from retaking the village, standing firm against tear gas and water cannons.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ught-back.html
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

Default China's internal troubles (not the Far West)

There is another separate thread on the domestic security situation in China's far west provinces, called 'China's Far West provinces: a Small War', which is in the Central Asia arena and on:http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...read.php?t=246

China's internal security has popped up once before in a thread, in 2007:http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=3019

So I have created this new thread.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 12-14-2011 at 11:01 PM.
    davidbfpo