Thread: SWJ Small Wars Survey 2012

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Odds Bodkins

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    The military is dying institution.
    What was it Mark Twain said..
    First, the chief problem with the military is economic.... the cost per man/unit to train, equip, and maintain, which continues to balloon.
    And IMO should be perhaps a bit higher per person if anything. The problem is not what's spent per capita but is instead that on which it is spent. Our priorities are terribly skewed. Partly the fault of the military, no question -- but even more the fault of Congress.

One should not forget that the US armed Forces are a reflection of the society from which they come and that the Congress controls -- often hidden -- strings that reach everywhere.
    The knee-jerk reaction currently flooding the literature in light of this libertarian kick America's right-wing seems to be on is to simply reduce the size of the force and its budget and retreat into a make believe return of isolationism.
    That's a long recurring thread in the American polity; it generaly works out okay. Only the Left gets upset when the Right slews that way. Later, when the left does the same thing as they did in the 80s, for example -- the Right can get upset. We are an equal opportunity upsetter...
    And, quite frankly, in order for the US to maintain its privileged economic and political position in the world, it requires a large, well-equipped force capable of operating anywhere in the the world under complex conditions.
    I agree with all but the 'large.'

I'll also point out that 'large' is difficult to transport and supply and will likely not do well under complex conditions if history is any guide. Been there, done that...
    America's strategic focus will continue to shift towards East and Southeast Asia and Africa; environments which will require completely different approaches and assets.
    Quite true and also a correct focus for us at this time. Consider that large forces we could field in that area will never be able to mach others there quantitatively...
    Second, and this problem is partly related to the first, the politicization of the military continues to undermine its objectivity and focus on strategic priorities and global security trends ... The self-selecting recruitment, evaluation, and promotion process will preserve this problem to the bitter end.
    I broadly agree but likely differ considerably on specifics. Regardless, it is a problem and the Forces need to grapple with it.
    Third, the military is becoming increasingly isolated from the culture it defends and (claims to) represent ... And this is not helped when the military culture actively promotes itself as the nation's top 1%, etc despite higher rates of suicide, domestic violence, divorce, drug abuse, and so on.
    Agree with the last part. The first is correct as a statement but I've seen that isolation far more pronounced in earlier times. I do not see it as an earth shaker unless someone wishes to make it so for domestic political purposes.
    Quickly, to recap, the military is becoming more expensive to maintain for a lesser amount of combat power, the leadership has no incentive to change course, and it is having a great strain on military personnel and the public's relationship with them. This will lead to military, and perhaps political, disaster.
    A little hyperbolic but not much. I totally agree the leadership must change its focus or things will get worse, not better.
    None of these issues are "transitory". They are structural and permanent and are trending downwards.
    Agree with the trend, do not agree that they aren't transitory. I've seen all the things that concern you in far worse shapes than they are today. The year 1958 was not a good one even with the then extant national service...

And 1949 was far worse...
    Why is national service a viable answer? It will force reformation of the defense economy and legitimation of political decisions to use force by creating an immediate and direct stake in those decisions for every single American
    Interesting theory. It did not hold true in earlier times when we drafted -- recall also that the vaunted post WW II Mil-Industrail complex got going while that draft existed. Big forces drew big bucks -- and provided big bucks...
    It will also infuse the military with the diverse skills and backgrounds of the American people. This will become increasingly necessary in a complex, Eastern-izing world. Lastly, it will re-focus American energy and innovation on nation-building at home, where education, healthcare, and infrastructure continue to decline.
    We had those diverse skills and background aboard in earlier times. I recall no significant advantage, perhaps this time could be different but I'm skeptical. I will note that those who are concerned about our state of training should be wary of a decline if national service persons are inducted into the Armed Forces. Mother's of volunteers may complain about conditions and treatment; Mothers of inductees WILL complain.

And Congress will listen...

Nor do I see where there will be a "re-focus" -- unless you propose that some national service persons will be involved in all those areas admittedly in decline. If so, could you tell me how they will integrate and work with the AFT / NEA and various college faculty associations...

Also interesting would be who, precisely, in this Federal Republic with its government / commercial mix of services would employ, administer and direct the Health Care and Infrastructure workers.

Oh, and where will they sleep?
    National service is a part of the American tradition; from the original colonies into the 20th century. It should not be the right or obligation of a tiny minority to contribute to this nation's defense and prosperity.
    That "tradition" bit is not totally correct as you well know. As for the right and / or obligation of the 1% (±), we successfully navigated the world for 190 plus of our ~ 230 years (depending on when one starts the counts) with that approximate percentage of voluntary service persons. I see no major problem in continuing that until there's a need for national service in an existential situation.

I think that means the odds are not on your side...
    Last edited by Ken White; 01-05-2012 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Add a /