Thread: Marine Paratroopers

Default Marine Paratroopers

Anybody know where I can find a free PDF copy of a article about USMC Paratroopers from WW2 called "To War by Air"? Thanks in advance

Default I couldn’t find a PDF of that one

but I did find this if it helps. You could try searching “Marine Corps Gazette” on OCLC to see if there’s a hard copy at a library near you.
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Anybody know where I can find a free PDF copy of a article about USMC Paratroopers from WW2 called "To War by Air"? Thanks in advance
    Slapout9,

I'll ask Margot at the Marine Corps Gzaette - she has come through big time in the past.

Default Food for Thought

With the looming defense cuts - how about combining MEUs, MEBs with airborne BCTs and SBCTs. Would seem to be pretty expeditionary and joint to me. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by gute View Post
    With the looming defense cuts - how about combining MEUs, MEBs with airborne BCTs and SBCTs. Would seem to be pretty expeditionary and joint to me. Thoughts?
    Are you suggesting a joint Army/Marine Corps operation? Or are you suggesting that the Marine Corps add airborne units?
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
    Are you suggesting a joint Army/Marine Corps operation? Or are you suggesting that the Marine Corps add airborne units?
    A joint Army/USMC command/operations. Maybe a joint expeditionary "divisions" with a MEB, ABCT and SBCT.

Default Hi Slap

WWII Patatroopers! not sure what you are looking for but have you read the two books by James Christ...Battalion of the Damned and Born to Raise Hell.
    "If you want a new idea, look in an old book"

Banned

I assume this is the one you are looking for:

To War by Air
    Publication : Marine Corps Gazette (pre-1994)- Quantico
    Author : Rathvon M Tompkins
    Date : Jan 1947

Detail to be found here

It appears to cover airlanding operations but if it proposes airborne operations (parachuting and airdrop) for a hitherto non-airborne force I would like to know as I would then purchase a copy.

Guys, thanks for all the references, especially the books! gute if the marine History lady comes through that will be great! I will respond in more detail later,kinda tied up on something for awhile, so my mission to save the Marine Corps will have to be put on hold for a few days In the mean time here is a link to the official marine Corps History of Marine Parachute Units. Later Slap

http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/HD/PDF_Fil...te%20Units.PDF

Default Operation: Exotic Dancer VI

Quote Originally Posted by gute View Post

We used to do that. Every year while I was in the 82nd. Here is a link to a newspaper article on the first one I went on.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...J&pg=906,50192

Default Operation Exotic Dancer!

We used to do that. Every year while I was in the 82nd. Here is a link to a newspaper article on the first one I went on.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...J&pg=906,50192
    The name of that operation reminds me of checking into a motel for the night in Jacksonville a couple of years back. There was a sign next to the reception desk: “State-issued drivers license required prior to check-in. Parties with local addresses not admitted.”

Default I think I've found an old friend

slapout9 - I'll bet either you checked my equipment or I checked yours! We were always next to each other on those jump rosters. I made a movie (8mm) of one of those mass tactical jumps but I have since lost it. You were in B Co. 2/504th ABN INF... am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by coupdetat View Post
    slapout9 - I'll bet either you checked my equipment or I checked yours! We were always next to each other on those jump rosters. I made a movie (8mm) of one of those mass tactical jumps but I have since lost it. You were in B Co. 2/504th ABN INF... am I right?
    That would be me Do you remember Donald J. Roberts?, Bill Sayre,Sgt. Gunn,Sgt.Ghoulston,Lt. Johnson,Lt. Salice????
    Last edited by slapout9; 06-30-2012 at 07:04 AM. Reason: stuff