Thread: “How the Glock became America’s weapon of choice” | Fresh Air (24 January 2012)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default “How the Glock became America’s weapon of choice” | Fresh Air (24 January 2012)

A bit to my surprise as I have never had much interest in handguns (I have owned a half dozen or so shotguns and rifles over the years but have had neither need for nor general curiosity about handguns at any point in my life) I much enjoyed today’s Fresh Air, an interview with the author of a recently published book about the history of the Glock in the United States.

-----------

How the Glock became America’s weapon of choice

[…] The Glock was created in 1982 by curtain-rod manufacturer Gaston Glock. Glock didn’t like the handguns available on the market and decided to manufacture a new gun from scratch. Before starting, he asked gun experts in his native Austria what could be done to improve a handgun for the modern era. […]
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

A very interesting and fair broadcast by Fresh Air.

I remember when we transitioned from a Smith & Wesson SA/DA .45 to a Glock 31. The Glock was easier to shoot, easier to make hits with, easier to field strip, easier to clean, lighter and held almost twice as many rounds. I was thrilled and wondered why on earth anybody would want something other than a Glock. From any but a hobbyist's standpoint, I still do.
    Last edited by carl; 01-25-2012 at 06:27 AM.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Default Nice find Matt !

I just wish someone would improve on the S**T curtain rods we end up buying

I've always been a big fan of the .45 round and while the Glock version is everything that Carl said it is, it just isn't my Colt Commander nor my Springfield.

It's like having a jap bike. Two wheels, easy to maintain, faster...yep.
    But it just isn't the same thing
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Curtain rods, huh. Who would of thunk. I'm a Glock guy - I've been carrying one for about 20 years. My agency went away from issuing 9mm handguns to the 40 cal around 2000/2001. The 40 cal definitively packs a bigger wallop.

Quote Originally Posted by gute View Post
    Curtain rods, huh. Who would of thunk. I'm a Glock guy - I've been carrying one for about 20 years. My agency went away from issuing 9mm handguns to the 40 cal around 2000/2001. The 40 cal definitively packs a bigger wallop.
    Hey Gute,
    Did you ever hear about a 2006 report from the PA PD during a shooting incident where the findings concluded it was impossible for .40 S&W 180 gr. JHP ammunition to expand with only 1" or less penetration in a human body?

LEOs were using Glock 22s and M4s and the assailant a .45.

Got to find that pdf... really strange Sierra.

I guess if I had to decide between a wimpy 9mm, I'd go with the 40 too
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Hey Gute,
    Did you ever hear about a 2006 report from the PA PD during a shooting incident where the findings concluded it was impossible for .40 S&W 180 gr. JHP ammunition to expand with only 1" or less penetration in a human body?

LEOs were using Glock 22s and M4s and the assailant a .45.

Got to find that pdf... really strange Sierra.

I guess if I had to decide between a wimpy 9mm, I'd go with the 40 too
    Sure have. The report on the shooting was distributed throughout my agency and if I remember right the fire arms unit at Quantico felt the .40 failed to stop the threat because of shot placement. I am not surprised that it took so many rounds to take him down. The guy was a bad dude and wanted to go out in a blaze of glory.