Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
A consistent thread in fact.

There seems to be a snake coiling around an idea that I can't quite put my hand on and not sure I want to try.
I feel the exact same, so I'm having a hard time commenting on the majority of the SMA's proposed changes; but I think I have a bit of insight.

We probably all agree to some extent or other that there are bigger problems facing the Army than the small disciplinary stuff, but I find the SMA's comments troubling for a different reason. I feel like he's telling us that we have too many SM's who don't adhere to AR 600-9; we have too many who look like thugs and brigands because of their neck and face tattoos; we have too many who don't look like a professional while in uniform, etc.

These are discipline issues, and ought to be addressed by first-line leadership. If the SMA is mentioning it, doesn't that tell you that junior leaders aren't doing their job? I compare it to a brigade commander in front of his formation, calling out some PFC in near the front of the formation for wearing an unserviceable uniform. Yes, at first I'd be pissed at the COL for (in essence) calling ME and MY peers out for not correcting that soldier, but then I'd realize that "holy crap, for the brigade commander to notice that, and take the time to point it out means I'm not doing my job." I would then expect to be in my 1SG's spotlight for the foreseeable future.

Maybe those of us who are junior leaders should see the SMA's plans as a wake-up call.

In case I didn't make it clear, I'm not dismissing what others here have pointed out as farther-reaching, broad, systemic, etc. problems with the way the Army is going...just trying to give my point of view from down here at snails-eye level.