Thread: Could the CAP concept work in Afghanistan?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Could the CAP concept work in Afghanistan?

Moderator at work

This thread was created after the issue started in 2012 on a separate thread reviewing the book 'The Village': http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ad.php?t=14702 (Mod ends)

As "Combat" Forces pull out by the end of 2014, do we bring the CAP back in support of SOF & ETTs?

If so what would they look like? The Vietnam model was 15 Marines: a 13man Rifle squad w/a Navy Corpsman & a Grenadier.

I would say the 2014 CAP Plt would have to be slightly more robust w/18 to 20 Marines.

I'd start w/the 13man RS + 1 Corpsman. To add to that I'd pull 4 Infantryman fr/the Weapons: 1 to act Squad Designated Marksman in exchange for the old school Grenadier, 1 to act as RTO (0341 FO, LCpl-Cpl), 1 trained to handle basic Intel (C-LIC), 1 I'd send to the 3-6wk Sapper Course.

With so much being done w/vehicles now it would be nice to have at least 1 truck to support patrols as a Fire Support Platform. W/that said it would be nice to have 1 Motor T Lance Cpl knowledgeable in 1st/2nd Echelon Field Expedient Maintenance.

20 could be seen slightly unwieldy but 4 would be mostly post positions, but as Infantryman able to step into patrol or QRF.

What do you think?
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 02-10-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Add Mod's note