Thread: Could the CAP concept work in Afghanistan?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    Do the squads now operating as de-facto CAPs and would your notional CAPs have real power to shape or even veto SOF raids in their areas? I can think of little worse for a CAP at a critical point in building their relationship with their community than to have a raid come in without prior coordination one night, kill several of the wrong people, then be gone in the morning leaving just the bodies behind. I ask because I've read that at least in the past, SOF tends to swan about on their own without much regard for local forces.
    I got out before Marines redeployed to A'stan but in Iraq several SOF missions occurred in areas we were developing and as far as I understood it the de-conflicting of missions happened much farther up the chain than the Plt or Coy level. Plt Cmdr would get word fr/the CO & it was usually, "accommodate these Gentlemen"; I doubt much is any different now.

CAP authority should fall along the same lines as other ISAF Training teams like the ETT. Not clear on ETT's exact chain, x-many teams fall in y-training command's AO. Not being in the same chain means SOF & ISAF-Training AO's overlap, conflicting interests occur & CAP would follow the same guidelines as the ETT. To me thats a good thing b/c they have different missions (the Tactical& the Strategic) working towards the same goal.

No team's an Island. As I said, I would deploy CAP w/in an existing INF-BN w/out gutting it. With TF-2/7 each Squad led its own Police District the P-Cmdr &/or Plt-Sgt traveled between them every few days Coordinating, Facilitating, & given Cmd Guidance. The Coys had Plts operating 70-100mi fr/the Coy HQ. A CAP enabled BN would be no different than BN-2/7, the SPMAGTF-HQ would report to ISAF Training Cmd.

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    Also, I think who is in the CAP is critical. Would you just use the people who happen to be in a unit you picked for this or specially select them?
    When you look at the Al Anbar Sons of Iraq militias, the neighborhood security forces, Police Districts in Ramadi who were lived, trained, fought for by single squads for whole deployments w/out being specifically trained for that type of mission. Many present day Marine RS spend months in 1 Squad-level outpost attached to ANSF patrolling the same neighborhood, building relationships in virtual isolation.

For the CAP, w/the influx of Marines fr/Weapons I would shift the 1st-timers &potential hard-cases to the Rifle Plt HQ, but that hasn't shown as a problem w/current RS.

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    COMMAR: Carl asked a similar question, but re: SOF. Mine is directed to control of the local police and local militia. How do you address the command structure re: the local security forces?
    I really don't think you need to look further than what Marine RS are already doing w/local Police/Militia, but to say 'Command' would be tricky better to say Lead. In remote Squad Outposts Every Marine is a Leader to the ANSF, but Mentoring is usually done along the lines that McBreen wrote.

What I've understood about CAP is their Main Objective was to Deny the use of x-villages to the enemy. By building & developing local Defense to the point of self-sufficiency then turn them over.

To that end they controlled the area around their village like a tiny AO, they:
    • Developed their own Intel Networks
    • Lead "Advised" their own Combat Patrols
    • Destroyed enemy Infrastructure
    • Lead community enhancement, build projects
    • Arranged Medical & Humanitarian Aid

This doesn't replace SOF. Marine Inf-Coys are doing these very things right now & SOF teams are working in conjunction in the same communities. Having CAP focus on building & protecting the immediate area of remote villages allows SOF to work within the same villages with freedom to pursue their broader objective, this has/is already being done in Population-Centers at the Coy-level.

A new CAP would continue these Micro-AO missions feeding Intel up the chain executing Ops down the Chain. Missions involving SOF w/local CAP would happen no different then they do now w/Coys, they're usually handed down fr/the top w/Missions of Opportunity discussed locally.
    Last edited by COMMAR; 02-10-2012 at 01:18 AM.

Default Will CAP be welcome to the locals in Afg.?

If the CAP concept is suitable today or after 2013-2014 for Afghanistan, surely the areas for deployment are the non-Pashtun areas, where at least there maybe more of a welcome? Notably in the north, centre and west.

In the Pashtun-majority areas the time for CAP has evaporated. It is easy to speculate that a CAP in a "platoon house" will become a target for the Taliban and allies. The first "house" and CAP that is overwhelmed will lead to a political re-appraisal, since the CAP is only likely to American, I simply cannot see it being sustainable politically at home.
    davidbfpo