Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will the UK lose the Falklands?

Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
    But you know who Kirchner can count on? Sean Penn.
    Matt, That's a keeper

Quote Originally Posted by J Wolfsberger View Post
    I got a laugh as well.
    Unfortunately, I suffered a brain f--- when I wrote the post. I meant "Venezuela, Brazil and Cuba."
    Hey John, You old buzzard - we hate all of those dudes (well, at least until we get another president with another agenda).

Where have you been anyway ? On some sort of sabbatical

Next thing you know, I'll start to get crotchety.
    As I needed to check the definition of that word, I ran across far too many definitions at the Urban Dictionary and decided on the following

1. Of or pertaining to the crotchular region.

2. Of a sexually promiscuous nature.

1. Ray-Ray was experiencing a crotchety itch, so he jiggied on down to the clinic on the corner.
    This, BTW, has jack to do with this thread !
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Matt, That's a keeper

Hey John, You old buzzard - we hate all of those dudes (well, at least until we get another president with another agenda).

Where have you been anyway ? On some sort of sabbatical

As I needed to check the definition of that word, I ran across far too many definitions at the Urban Dictionary and decided on the following

This, BTW, has jack to do with this thread !
    I got tied up in a series of other activities.

As for "crotchety," more along the lines of:

1.irritable: irritable and difficult to please

The proper emoticon is:
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

I got tied up in a series of other activities.

As for "crotchety," more along the lines of:

1.irritable: irritable and difficult to please

The proper emoticon is:
    Sorry about that John
    Glad to have you back and pissed off !
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Maybe we can just send them Sean Penn and call it good. Please?
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    Maybe we can just send them Sean Penn and call it good. Please?
    That gets my vote.
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

Banned

Default Sandy Woodward

Falkland Islands: Britain 'would lose' if Argentina decides to invade now

Idyllic though his retirement seems, Woodward insists his views are relevant. “I have stayed very much in touch with what’s going on. I don’t hesitate to tell the First Sea Lord if I think he’s getting it wrong, and he, bless him, actually does take some notice. I am, after all, the only senior naval officer still alive who has taken the Navy to war. That doesn’t mean to say I’m right, but I’m probably worth listening to. Albeit with a pained expression.”

'One Hundred Days’ by Admiral Sandy Woodward (HarperPress) is available from Telegraph Books for £8.99 plus £1.25 p&p. Call 0844 871 1516 or go to books.telegraph.co.uk
    The Brits don't make them like this anymore... to their cost!

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    to their cost!
    What would the cost to Britain be if the Falklands were lost?
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Default Some fine weather, obviously!

Quote Originally Posted by dayuhan View Post
    what would the cost to britain be if the falklands were lost?
    :d

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    What would the cost to Britain be if the Falklands were lost?
    I don't know and quite frankly I don't care.

My post was about the person and not the place.

Default Falklands Remembered: return to Mount Longdon

A short article:
    Major General Jonathan Shaw CBE is Colonel Commandant of The Parachute Regiment and the Assistant Chief of the Defence Staff. Earlier this year, he returned for the first time in three decades to the Falklands with his wife Gillie and children Tom, 14, Ella, 10, to tell them the story of a battle he’ll never forget.
    A few grim passages, that is the reality of combat:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...t-Longdon.html
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Default RUSI opinion piece on Falklands security....

Default Thirty years later

The UK media has had it's fill of anniversary articles and several documentaries, the best IMO by Max Hastings (who had "yomped" across the Falklands in 1982):http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._Max_Hastings/

Listening to a radio discussion, with only British voices, it was made clear that Argentina has neither the will or capability to launch another invasion (with no new spending on ships & planes since 1982); the diplomatic offensive started last year when Argentina's economy caught a cold - so is a political distraction and provided the UK has adequate warning within days air reinforcement could land at the airbase.

So it was interesting to see how the Falklands War looked from an Australian perspective, thanks to the Lowy Institute: 'What the Falklands War means for Asia':http://www.lowyinterpreter.org/post/...-for-Asia.aspx and 'Australian lessons from the Falklands War':http://www.lowyinterpreter.org/post/...Falklands.aspx

The later author is a retired Australian Army general and I was struck by this concluding remark, which has far wider application:
    The Falklands War has great value as an object of study for Australians, not just for its military content based on the technology of the day, nor for its obvious tragedy and successes, but as a study in unpreparedness, unpredictability, the impact of national leadership, and the need to align strategies to capability. And that is only from the British side. There are even more lessons for our part of the world if you study the Argentinians.
    davidbfpo

Banned

Default 30 years on from British landings on the Falklands...

Falklands War memorial unveiled at National Arboretum

A service is being held to dedicate a new memorial to the 255 Britons who died in the Falklands War.

The memorial was commissioned by British veterans' organisation, the South Atlantic Medal Association 1982

A service is being held to dedicate a new memorial to the 255 Britons who died in the Falklands War.
    This thread prompted me to recall the television coverage of the aftermath of one of the successful Argentine attacks upon a Royal Navy vessel -- probably the HMS Sheffield, but I am not certain -- at the time. As best I can remember it generated a strong mix of confusion, curiosity, and concern for me at the time. I guess that is to be expected given that I was a six-year-old who had witnessed precious little non-fictional violence and none that I can recall (non-fictional or otherwise) on TV. Was the coverage of the aftermath of the attack upon the Sheffield (or of any other British ships) notable in Britain or Argentina?
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Council Member

Default Anglo-Encirclement of The Western Hemisphere

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    Article 5 does not cover that place of Earth. It's about Europe and NA.

The Lisbon treaty might apply, though; that depends on definitions (see comments here).
    n.b. Article 5 was invoked for Afghanistan. Ref: above discussion.

In an "Empire Strikes Back" turnabout The Commonwealth sits not only on the vast oil reserves discussed but the geostrategic key terrain of lands & seas dominating both the Drake Passage & The Northwest Passage, yes that long sought secret high speed route to Asia, its only existed since 2007 to regular shipping, unintended consequence of "global warming".

Although their ability to project Air-Sea dominance is presently minimal, for a moment which will not last, The UK remains capable of projecting power vis-a-vis amphibious forces. They also have access to Airfields in Canada, New Zealand & elsewhere, in support and old island "coaling" ports in between. Most importantly they have one of the best levels of access to Troopship Service which is an economic and more reliable, if slower, way of moving an Army than airpower and doesn't require an airhead but a beachhead, with tenders or landing crafts. As such the Argentines should do well to fear the BA as well as the RN. So this small war question isn't merely a littoral issue.

It could also be argued that they, The British, presently control a degree of access to the Panama canal via the B.W.I. Overall the Atlantic is still the domain of the Scepter'd Isle and little has changed since the Battle of the Spanish Armada, especially with their present serene alliance, our special friendship. This is in spite of a present Communist Bulge in The Western Hemisphere, about the Panama Canal Zone, our own Hong Kong, expansion of which may yet cause consternation and civil engineering crises in Bayonne and elsewhere due to increased shipping tonnage.

From a Small Wars perspective, the threat is globalist communist incursion in South America. Enslavement of the populations & thievery of their resources of gas, oil, precious metals, woods, minerals, gems and water will be sought by the enemies of the American way of life.

To what degree are China and Cuba influencing action in the region?

Have North Korean and Iranian agents spread their influence there also?

Do circumstances indicate future obligation and investment on our part?

Council Member

Default FYI: Article Five has only been invoked for Asia

Banned

This thread prompted me to recall the television coverage of the aftermath of one of the successful Argentine attacks upon a Royal Navy vessel -- probably the HMS Sheffield, but I am not certain -- at the time. As best I can remember it generated a strong mix of confusion, curiosity, and concern for me at the time. I guess that is to be expected given that I was a six-year-old who had witnessed precious little non-fictional violence and none that I can recall (non-fictional or otherwise) on TV. Was the coverage of the aftermath of the attack upon the Sheffield (or of any other British ships) notable in Britain or Argentina?
    A mix I suggest... what do you think?

Hundimiento del Sheffield || Sinking of the Sheffield

A mix I suggest... what do you think?

Hundimiento del Sheffield || Sinking of the Sheffield
    Some of the stuff in the comments section is great. One of them amounts to “How can you seriously think the Malvinas are Argentine if the only people living on those rough ass islands are Englishmen willing to herd sheep for a living?”
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Banned

Some of the stuff in the comments section is great. One of them amounts to “How can you seriously think the Malvinas are Argentine if the only people living on those rough ass islands are Englishmen willing to herd sheep for a living?”
    Who cares about a few shepherds when there is oil under them thar waters.

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullmoose Bailey View Post
    Although their ability to project Air-Sea dominance is presently minimal, for a moment which will not last, The UK remains capable of projecting power vis-a-vis amphibious forces.
    Do you really expect the UK to regain the capacity to project Air-Sea dominance? Hardly seems likely, given he state of their economy.

From a Small Wars perspective, the threat is globalist communist incursion in South America.
    Probably a matter for another thread, but I'd be curious about how that conclusion was reached.

Enslavement of the populations & thievery of their resources of gas, oil, precious metals, woods, minerals, gems and water will be sought by the enemies of the American way of life.
    Yes, they lack our altruism.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken