Thread: Joint India Indonesian Army Exercise Garud Shakti Concludes.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

I haven't the burden of being a nation, but I live less than 60km from the South China Sea and less than 800 from the China mainland, which I suppose makes me a neighbour of sorts. I can't say I feel threatened at this point.
    Indeed you haven’t been burdened being a nation.

I believe you were a Peace Corps worker. With due regards and without being indelicate, I take it thus that you are not a Filipino by birth. If that assumption is right, I would be surprised that one can imbibe the local psyche and mindset in such a short span of time. However, a person of foreign descent, living in another country, even if he is naturalised, does not have the same apprehensions as a local since the foreigner has the route out to his native land in case of security problems.

I am aware that there are many Filipinos who are against allowing the US to set foot on Filipino soil. However, a Govt takes decisions based on geopolitical and geostrategic realities. Yet, in a democracy, no Govt can divorce itself from the local sentiments either. Hence, deliberations and decision are not quite transparent, and instead is implemented in a roundabout manner, and sometimes even with secret understanding that are not in the public domain.

If indeed there was no threat perceived by Philippines, the timing of the naval exercise with the US could have been deferred for an opportune time when the ‘heat’ had cooled off in the South China Sea. But no, it was held with much fanfare, bringing forth angry responses from China. If indeed, as some would say, these exercises were ‘routine’, it would not have drawn such hostile response from China.

Therefore, that there is threat perceived by the Philippines Govt is no figment of imagination.

US TO ROTATE UP TO 4,000 TROOPS IN PHILIPPINES http://bonginvirginia.blogspot.in/20...troops-in.html
    It is obvious that there is a threat perceived in the Philippine or else why are they now eating crow allowing US military presence, when on September 13, 1991, the Philippine Senate outrightly rejected the ratification of the treaty that allowed the presence of US troops?

Not only that, the second naval vessel is being transferred to the Philippines. One does not ‘transfer’ ships without some sort of a military understanding. I believe that there are request to modernise their air force too!

Obviously, the Philippines perceives a threat from China and hence Philippines has backdown from its high horse of not allowing US to set foot in the Philippines, there being no other way out!
    Last edited by Ray; 03-10-2012 at 05:41 PM.