Thread: Nine children among 16 dead after US serviceman attacks villagers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Hei Stan:

Isn't love not saying you're sorry ? Hi, lover - big smacker ! I couldn't resist that. Stan = rehellinen mies (in all three of its positive meanings: honest, straight, fair).

Our perspectives come from our culture and life experiences. The military and an NRA life membership pin (on my NRA-ILA pool cap, Bro) don't get a discouraging word in the places I frequent. The Detroit Lions and the Green Bay Packers are another story (a pretty much equal civil war). Most bars (if they are smart and want to stay intact) have both teams well represented on their walls.

Now, don't you start pulling on the tail of a kaunis kissa; pull the donkey's tail instead, and give him the chance to put you into orbit. I'm kidding, of course; but, "Kissanhannanveto" looks something like "he's pulling on the cat".

Mutta, of course, it means Tug of War - something a lot of us have with respect to this case and within ourselves.

There is no way to pretty up this mess.

I took my wife out for dinner tonite. She and the "girls" went down to Madison Thurs for the Wisconsin State Tournament (Bowling) and stayed at a rez (Lac du Flambeau) on the way back Saturday. They had a good time - A world that does not involve young men killing and being killed.

Regards

Mike
    Last edited by jmm99; 03-19-2012 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    Now, don't you start pulling on the tail of a kaunis kissa; pull the donkey's tail instead, and give him the chance to put you into orbit. I'm kidding, of course; but, "Kissanhannanveto" looks something like "he's pulling on the cat".

Mutta, of course, it means Tug of War - something a lot of us have with respect to this case and within ourselves.

Regards

Mike
    Mike,
    We often use colorful Finnish phrases when an Estonian one either doesn't exist, or, the Finnish one just sounds better.

In this case, kissanhännänveto roughly translates as: Arguing back and forth about something really not worth arguing over, but which people feel strongly about.

Meillä on sairas aasi
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Arguing back and forth about something really not worth arguing over, but which people feel strongly about.
    Not that any of us would ever do that ...
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.