I get you - no bad on your part in my eyes. The flavor I got was that to you this guy committed a form of treason - just as to me, Tim McVeigh and Terry Nichols were guilty of treason against their country, even though they were not charged with that crime. They collaberated in an act of war against the US in which people died. Both should now be dead.

That being said, I don't get emotional about these cases. I suppose Yale Kamisar (like Ken, a Korean Police Action participant), my Criminal Law & Procedure + Con Law prof, would say: JMM, you suffer from "trained indifference" - or, it just may be my personality. In any event, to me, death penalty situations are best viewed non-emotionally. E.g., The Green Mile.

Carl: Can't help you on that. I've been advised (by "senior LEOs" ) that, on a traffic stop, I'd best open the driver's window, keep both hands on the wheel high, and let the officer give the instructions.

Of course, Astan is not a law enforcement situation (no matter how much some folks would like to make it that). The people had 30 years of being subjugated by armed conflicts before we got there. The "Armed Citizen" cannot exist in that environment because a neutral "Armed Citizen" will be viewed as a threat by one or all sides to the conflict. The people become passive because their "Armed Citizens" have either been killed or disarmed. What I've said is a sweeping generality not true in all areas.

There is now a Wiki on this, Panjwai shooting spree.

Two news items:

AP: Afghan official says surveillance video shows US soldier surrendering after civilians killed (14 Mar 2012; MIRWAIS KHAN and SEBASTIAN ABBOT):

The U.S. soldier suspected of killing 16 Afghan villagers on a rampage was caught on surveillance video that showed him walking up to his base, laying down his weapon and raising his arms in surrender, according to an Afghan official who viewed the footage.

The official said Wednesday there were also two to three hours of video footage covering the time of the attack that Afghan investigators are trying to get from the U.S. military. He spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue. .... (more)
"S.Sgt X" surrendered, we know that. If there are two to three hours of video footage (and/or other sensors), evidence is coming on board - depends on its quality. We have already seen the forensics team picking up casings.

AP: American soldier suspected of killing 16 Afghan civilians flown out of country (14 Mar 2012; by HEIDI VOGT):

A U.S. military official says the American soldier accused of killings 16 Afghan civilians on a shooting spree has been flown out of the country.

The official said Wednesday that the soldier has been flown to a "pretrial confinement facility" in another country but did not provide further details. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the information had not yet been publicly announced.

The official did not provide a reason for the move, saying only that the decision had been made to continue legal proceedings outside of Afghanistan.
Thus, Holman didn't come down and isn't going to.

Regards

Mike