Interesting article. I found the following bit quite indicative of most military planning processes:

For too long, US military circles have assumed that strategic planning and strategic thinking were synonymous. This premise, combined with the military’s penchant for bureaucratic process, has led to placing the preponderance of intellectual effort on the planning process. Consequently, planners have endlessly pursued deeper and deeper mission analysis, intelligence preparation of the battlespace, and excursions into effects-based operations in order to fine-tune the development, selection, and refinement of the course of action (COA).

Even now as the planning community slowly embraces the latest fad of design, it still fails to understand that strategic planning and strategic thinking are two distinct activities. Strategic planning, a process-based activity, focuses on analysis, logic, and procedures while strategic thinking, an idea-based cognitive activity, emphasizes synthesis, creativity, intuition, and innovation. Strategic planning translates strategy into actionable content. Strategic thinking generates insight into the present and foresight regarding the future. It fuels the start of the strategic planning process but often becomes overwhelmed by concentrating on the next step in the process
or by making PowerPoint slides for the next IPR
I've seen an planning overwhelm thinking in tactical planning, so I can only imagine the chaos of strategic planning.