Thread: End the All-Volunteer Force

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair
    You are attaching a significance to a stat that it doesn't deserve. I understand that you depend on it to bolster your position, but that doesn't make it correct. The romantic attachment to the draft is just that...romantic in the old sense of the word and often unencumbered by objective analysis.
    When you demonstrate that 8.5% is a statistically insignificant number instead of claiming it to be so, I'll take your objection about the Civil War into serious consideration.

And before we get too attached to those Boomers and their accomplishments, let's also take time to consider their role in the over-inflation of the US education system (to the point where a college degree is now the paid equivalent of a high school diploma and necessary two-year technical programs are often marginalized as "not good enough" when compared to the four-year degree).
    This has more to do with the financialization of the US economy and the movement of manufacturing and other labor-intensive jobs overseas.

How many are being pushed into the military to take advantage of various aid programs spawned by the draft in order to finance their own society-mandated post-secondary education?
    Not much, I presume, given that the majority of recruits come the South and the South consistently ranks in the lowest of collegiate educational attainment. Nor are college costs strongly related to demand -- skyrocketing costs outpaced inflation since 1985 (and only after US wages started to stagnate) because of increased administrative costs. The education problems in this country were not caused by conscription.
    Last edited by AmericanPride; 04-23-2012 at 07:56 PM.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot