Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
With my freshmen, it usually isn't the kids, it's their parents pressuring them to chase the ROTC scholarship. Close to 20% of my students came to the class because mommy and daddy made it clear that this was their only choice (yes, some are only here for the scholarship and it was their idea, but they are rare).

They are pushed in by their parents. If mommy and daddy were a little more thoughtful, they might have noticed the swarms of other means to the ends.
What is wrong with that? I know some of the famous American generals and admirals of the past went to the service academies because it is the only way they could get a college education. I know a guy who went to the AFA because that was the only way he could afford to go to college. If mommy and daddy made it clear that it was ROTC scholarship or nothing, could it not be because mommy and daddy have a clearer idea of the family finances? I don't think there are swarms of other means for a student who is not top flight from a family of middling means, barring student loans which are sort of like Uncle Sam as Guido the loan shark.