Thread: OEF has it been worth the human cost?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is there anyone other than USians who think the US political system of any value?
    Compared to who? The enlightened denizens of this board? The people running the UK, the EU, Australia? Really?

I'd love to hear someone explain why kicking out Saddam was the height of evil and folly, but not kicking out Assad or Qaddafi is/would have been the height of evil and folly. The only apparent criteria seems to have been the party controlling the Whitehouse, which is politically stupid and morally bankrupt. Until there's a satisfactory explanation of that distinction, then I'll stay opposed to any future intervention. The lives of US and allied troops are worth more than that.
    Not going to judge evil - I'll leave that to all those stellar moral exemplars out there. But in terms of pure folly - are you seriously arguing that the invasion and occupation of Iraq had the same costs or benefits as the operation that removed Qaddafi? That they represented the same risks or scale of investment on the part of the U.S.?
    Last edited by tequila; 04-28-2012 at 07:54 PM.