Thread: AIDS as a Security Threat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My nephew just took a nice 8 pointer down near Hugo with his bow.
    Our farm is up the toll road from hugo south of Muskogee; so far no joy although I have let spikes and yearlings walk. I watched Bambi's dad at 500 yards chasing does for 2 hours but with a bow I could only watch. One more effort is coming up before the end of the season.

that's why its called hunting--especially with stick and string..

best

Tom

Council Member

Default AIDS effects

In Kenya, there are 100,000 AIDS orphans that the state cannot support. They become targets for radical islamic HA groups that indoctrinate these individuals, while simultaneously providing for their basic needs. The Saudis continue to pour A LOT of money into Wahabbi schools in east Africa that are full of AIDS orphans.

Default Complex Issue

and it compounds Adam as many of those AIDS orphans were born infected

in the case of Rwanda, the rape of some 250,000 women in the genocide is still killing those survivors and their offspring. I know of several RPA officers who have passed due to AIDS

It is more than a medical problem; it is a social, educational, and security problem. Behavior modification on use of condoms runs full tilt into local mores, compounded by statements/pronouncements against condom use by the Catholic Church and other bodies. USAID is hamstrung in its efforts because condom use has to be sold as disease prevention versus birth control; if the persons involved don't know (or care) if they are infected, they don't care about disease prevention. And venereal diseases of more traditional forms have historically run at 95+ percent in some African countries.

Best
    Tom

Default Good documentary on cable

There is a pretty good documentary on Showtime on AIDS in Africa looking at the primary, secondary, and tertiary effects of AIDS on the continent. It is not a pleasant view and it will get much worse. The number of AIDS orphans already runs in the millions as a sub-component of the 30 million infected.

I recommend it to this audience.

Best

Tom

Default Note of AIDS in RSA

A friend sent me a short note on the subject of AIDS in the Repulblic of South Africa's military. According to a knowledgeable person, the widespread of the disease has made it impossible to to assemble a force of 1600 men who are AIDS free.

There is no way to evaluate the tip but consider the effects on operations, ability to project power, and just sustaining a force under these circumstances.

Best

Tom

Default Estonia on the top in Europe for HIV infection

Estonia continues to register one of the highest HIV infection rates in Europe. The Estonian Health Protection Inspectorate said 109 new cases of HIV infection have been registered already this year. Tragically, among them are two girls aged under four years old. The majority of cases, 38, were registered in Narva, while 35 came from Tallinn and 23 from East Viru county. Most people who were found to have the virus were aged between 20 and 24. In total, Estonia is now home to 5,840 HIV carriers and 139 AIDS patients.
    The numbers seem small, but then there's only 1.5 million living here and less than 8,000 in the military!
    Last edited by Stan; 03-12-2007 at 07:18 PM.

Council Member

From the Washington Post:

Uganda's early gains against HIV eroding
    Message of fear, fidelity diluted by array of other remedies

By Craig Timberg

Updated: 1:56 a.m. ET March 29, 2007
    New generation, new attitude
    Even in Uganda, these key ingredients have been lost as a new generation coming of age years after Lutaaya's death indulges in the same reckless behavior that first spread the disease so widely.

"We saw him. We saw him die. We abandoned the girlfriends," said Swizen Kyomuhendo, a social scientist at Makerere, who was an undergraduate when Lutaaya spoke there. "When you look at the university students now, they are not as terrified as we were then."

The percentage of sexually active men with multiple partners has more than doubled in recent years, undoing earlier declines, surveys show. Reports of sexually transmitted diseases among women, another indicator of dangerous behavior, have risen sharply as well.