Hmmm. Well I am at National Defense University as a faculty in the Information Resources Management College. We have about dozen interns that work in our program on various faculty projects, but most of our interns are also pretty technical. As a faculty member my experience is slightly different, but I would say the environment is spectacular, various events really push the envelope. The POTUS, and various other entities are on our campus regularly.

Currently NDU (along with all JPME) is defining the role they will be playing in the future. So many of the centers are scrambling to prove what they do. That is both good and bad. The scrambling means they have lots to do, but the bad thing is the they are in survival mode. Still those are issues for the future. Packages and materials are all important when applying. It is pretty late to be applying this year but I'd say go ahead and try. I do know that last year there were some issues getting interns paid, but had no visibility into those issues.

Just to scope the opportunity if you want to work with the former and current leadership of the largest military on the planet NDU is your best shot. I know that several interns have turned the NDU internship into pretty nice gigs in other institutions.