What's more, these new veterans are claiming eight to nine ailments on average, and the most recent ones over the last year are claiming 11 to 14. By comparison, Vietnam veterans are currently receiving compensation for fewer than four, on average, and those from World War II and Korea, just two.
http://apnews.myway.com//article/201...D9V16E900.html

This is interesting and difficult to discuss but there is a huge hungry elephant in the room. Could this be a mindset within the military or VA culture because a single large scale battle in lets say, WWII, resulted in more wounded (including disease), than Iraq and Afghanistan combined. And that doesn't include people that had nightmares and pissed in the bed for years after the war. Even combined IEDs pale in comparison to enemy artillery during WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. What the heck is going on? War is Hell but lets get realistic here. I can't believe the current conflicts even compare to Vietnam and yet vets today are claiming twice the ailments? Come on. Some of these dudes need to cowboy up, grow a backbone, show some pride, and stop taking advantage of the system because getting rocket attacks as a cook in a bunker just isn't the same as the few that are or were actually doing the fighting with the enemy. Responsibility begins with self responsibility. Joining the military is better than participating in state lotteries. I empathize with people that were grievously wounded and deserve more than just disability payments but these current statistics go beyond what is logical and fiscally prudent. People are taking advantage of the situation. In essence, they are taking advantage of their fellow taxpayers. This isn't a problem that can only be addressed by those that have walked in those boots. Taxpayers have a huge voice in this problem of abuse as well. I think Sherman was spot on...

Every attempt to make war easy and safe will result in humiliation and disaster.
-- William Tecumseh Sherman