Thread: What we support and defend

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Man, oh man, this thread is hot! I'm in.

Actually, I probably don't have much constructive to add to this debate, but I'll try, maybe a little METT-TC posting.

Since I am one who believes in a strict interpretation of the U.S. Constitution I agree with Bob, but also feel Carl's position has merit. Does one have to be murdered to have the right to believe in the death penalty? What I try to do is heed the experience of others. I'm not gonna tell Bob or Ken how or what it's like to fight a war as I'm sure they would not try to tell me how to conduct drug investigations?

We have one side supporting a large standing army and the other side opposed - break glass in time of war. We know what the large standing army looks like, but what would the alternative look like, how organized, etc? How do we justify active Special Operations forces, the Air Force?

I believe this country is capable of building a large, strong(er) reserve that is both reserve and professional. What's to prevent RC offcers from going to the service academies (if one bases professionalism on the academies)? I think with modern communications and transportation, one weekend a month and two weeks during the summer could be expanded.

There was an article here at the SWJ a couple of years ago about a fictional SecDef telling the country that due to debt the active land forces would consist of the Marine Corps, SOF and a large Army National Guard. For the life of me I am unable to remember the name of the article, but I'm sure somone here remembers.

Personally, I think sequestration will force people to pull their heads out of their butts. The country is broke. Sure, I'd rather be broke than dead, but I don't see dead happening anytime soon. Either we start making these changes now or the changes will be made for us and not at our speed.

The Marine Corps is talking about getting back to being a middle weight force so do we need 24 AC battalions of Stryker vehicles which is the Army's middle weight force? So, we reduce the Army by 24 battalions - why not? Or, we eliminate 24 Marine infantry battalions, basically three divisions and its stuff. I believe the Army could be just as capable conducting amphibious assaults and MEU(SOC) missions with time. Of course one has to change the law. Being a former Marine I would rather see the Strykers go and I like the fact that we have two branches that fight on land. This way we avoid group think.

That's my two scents for what it's worth.
    Last edited by Bill Moore; 06-05-2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: As requested by Gute