Thread: What we support and defend

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    I noticed that no one answered these questions from a few pages back (though several took shots at each in the posts prior to my request):
    I don't believe there is some exact date, more like a slow chipping away. IMO opinion it started with the Wilson presidency and has continued on since then. But we have forgotten the purpose of the Constitution more than anything, we get hung up on this law,article or whatever instead of seeing the problem or situation through the lens of original purpose which is contained in the Preamble not the individual pieces.

In the preamble it establishes 6 core missions in order to accomplish the original purpose of America.
    1-form a more perfect union
    2-establish justice
    3-insure domestic tranquility
    4-provide for the common defense
    5-promote the general welfare
    6-secure the blessings of liberty for now and the future

Now explain to me how giving tax breaks to rich people and installing laws and treaties that make it possible to send jobs and technologies (paid for with tax dollars) overseas is constitutional. Under citizens united AQI or the Communist Chinese can form a PAC and give money to get people elected

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    I don't believe there is some exact date, more like a slow chipping away. IMO opinion it started with the Wilson presidency and has continued on since then. But we have forgotten the purpose of the Constitution more than anything, we get hung up on this law,article or whatever instead of seeing the problem or situation through the lens of original purpose which is contained in the Preamble not the individual pieces.

In the preamble it establishes 6 core missions in order to accomplish the original purpose of America.
    1-form a more perfect union
    2-establish justice
    3-insure domestic tranquility
    4-provide for the common defense
    5-promote the general welfare
    6-secure the blessings of liberty for now and the future
    Concur with this. In fact I wrote pretty much the same thing way back at post 60 of this thread when I characterized the Declaration and Constitution as basicly an Op Plan for establishing the US government with the Preamble being the Mission statement for that operation.
    Quote Originally Posted by WM
    I like to view the two framing documents as something like an operations order for Operation USA. The Declaration of Independence is Paragraph 1 of that Op Order: Situation. A significant (and I think greatly overlooked) piece of the Constitution is its Preamble. I view this as the Mission statement for Operation USA. The remainder of the basic document constitute the opord's remaining three paragraphs while the various amendments serve as fragos that modify the operation due to changes in the situation. The various laws of the US Code might well be viewed as the various specialized Annexes that turn most opords into such ponderous works.

If you like this analogy, then reflect that never has the Preamble been modified. In other words, we the people of the United States still have a mission to "form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity." Doing that is what "supporting and defending the Constition" meant to me when I took my oath and is what that phrase still means to me today.
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    The greatest educational dogma is also its greatest fallacy: the belief that what must be learned can necessarily be taught. — Sydney J. Harris

Quote Originally Posted by wm View Post
    Concur with this. In fact I wrote pretty much the same thing way back at post 60 of this thread when I characterized the Declaration and Constitution as basically an Op Plan for establishing the US government with the Preamble being the Mission statement for that operation.
    Yes, I have posted it before on other threads, but what I like about your version is viewing it as an Op Plan (of course to me it is a system)which is what it is but is not generally taught that way. There is to much focus on it being a supreme legal document as opposed to it being a plan!! And how it can be useful to accomplishing our purpose as a nation.

Default This Is For Bob's World And Anybody Else

of course but this is an excellent video on how we(USA) got this way. It was made in 1965 for NBC television with reporter John Chancellor, also has various CIA heads and former heads and Congressman Eugene McCarthy.
    The whole thing is about modern adaption of the Constitution, Morals and War against Invisible Governments without involving Congress. Decision making by the CIA and the Executive branch alone. It drags in places but it is quite a history lesson.

Link to "The Science Of Spying" 1965 NBC Special with reporter John Chancellor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi710...eature=related
    Last edited by slapout9; 07-19-2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: stuff