Really? I think I remember some earlier ideology that used to "to leverage individuals and movements around the globe to their cause with modern information tools". They were intent on something called "world revolution" or similar.
The then-modern information tools were not the same as today, but noting this as only substantial difference means that the whole thing is trivial.

On another note, some privateers circumnavigated earth in the 16th century already.

I also recall having read about condottieri, mercenary captains who basically took over almost the entire warfare business in Italy for quite some time.

There was also an international anarchist movement that played a role in kicking off the First World War.

China was repeatedly ravaged by sects and other non-state actors, including in what was likely the second most-deadly war ever, the Taiping Rebellion.

There were also ocean-spanning "East India Trade companies" and other at times quite violent and war-making trade groups, including the Hanse.

I recommend to delete "non-state actors" and "leverage" from the vocabulary. They trigger my BS alert far too often.