The filaments need to grow stronger as well, true. Likewise, martial arts practitioners and (semi) pro fighters also need to strengthen their bones with repeated impacts. Add speed of muscles and muscle memory to the list. Muscles alone actually don't mean much.

Then again, users of those substances (not only steroids) do not need to train that much and still have substantial growth of muscle mass. This can lead to a reduced risk of injury.

Last time I I saw an obvious steroid in a changing room. He got pissed off by where I had laid my towel on the bench.
I was thinking of how useless all his muscles will be if he actually attacks me. I had kept the proper distance and would have cracked his right knee if he had tried to strike a blow with those big slow arms. He was really aggressive and obviously having a discussion between his small inner angel and devil about whether to attack.

Personally, I don't get what much muscle or even the removal of the last fat from the belly is good for.
I could certainly benefit from redistributing some weight, but I haven't had a single occasion of insufficient strength in years.