Thread: India-US relations: cooling and warming up (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Notwithstanding that India is a very large country with a varied population with varied identities and political views, India still considers US as a natural friend, though a very unpredictable and unaccommodating friend – a friend that ignores the sensitivity of others, ascribing its own morality and way of life as the sole and righteous standard.
    Many elements of truth in there.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Thinking over all that has been said about this affair here, it occurs to me that this is really an encouraging thing. My take on the tone is that it is sort of like a disagreement between sibs (I just learned that word) rather than a spark between potential enemies. It seems we aren't really mad at each others countries so much as disappointed that a buddy would act like this. What antipathy there is also seems to me to be mostly directed at individuals as individuals, not as nationals.

Very good for the future.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    Thinking over all that has been said about this affair here, it occurs to me that this is really an encouraging thing. My take on the tone is that it is sort of like a disagreement between sibs (I just learned that word) rather than a spark between potential enemies. It seems we aren't really mad at each others countries so much as disappointed that a buddy would act like this. What antipathy there is also seems to me to be mostly directed at individuals as individuals, not as nationals.

Spot on.

Banned

Not in agreement on this one Carl.

What we see is another example of US arrogance together with a display of immature petulance from India.

The only good thing about this is that the US will have learned that their power is on the ebb and they can no longer ride rough shod over (what were once) 3rd world countries without causing an embarrassing tantrum.

India's test will come when they show the world they have the balls to stand up to China on some issue. Don't hold your breath.

Council Member

India's test will come when they show the world they have the balls to stand up to China on some issue. Don't hold your breath.
    Breathe free.

The wimp on his way out!

JMA:

I don't think you are right and I hope you aren't, but I can't marshal a thunderingly persuasive argument to the contrary.

As far as India goes, perhaps India the country is much more stand up than the Indian leadership class. I got to thinking that when I read Ray's "breathe free" comment (if I got his inference right). One of the reasons I got to thinking it is the Americans are way more stand up than the American leadership class. Maybe India is a little the same.

Council Member

JMA:

I don't think you are right and I hope you aren't, but I can't marshal a thunderingly persuasive argument to the contrary.

As far as India goes, perhaps India the country is much more stand up than the Indian leadership class. I got to thinking that when I read Ray's "breathe free" comment (if I got his inference right). One of the reasons I got to thinking it is the Americans are way more stand up than the American leadership class. Maybe India is a little the same.
    That is right.

The political dispensation is changing, the catalyst being that Indians are tired of the lack of governance, being pushed around by all our neighbours and accepting the same like wimps, and adding insult to injury, the disgraceful and brazen corruption by the current Govt without an iota of shame, galloping inflation and food prices, and the PM and his Ministers' downright arrogance to blame their horrid governance and thieving & all the ills that has visited the Nation, on the international political and economic scenario.
    Last edited by Ray; 01-18-2014 at 05:41 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    That is right.

The political dispensation is changing, the catalyst being that Indians are tired of the lack of governance, being pushed around by all our neighbours and accepting the same like wimps, and adding insult to injury, the disgraceful and brazen corruption by the current Govt without an iota of shame, galloping inflation and food prices, and the PM and his Ministers' downright arrogance to blame their horrid governance and thieving & all the ills that has visited the Nation, on the international political and economic scenario.
    Yes, so playing this incident up is a good distraction from the reality on the ground.