Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: WAP is your friend.

  1. #1
    Council Member ganulv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Berkshire County, Mass.
    Posts
    896

    Lightbulb WAP is your friend.

    A few days ago members of the Evansville, Ind., SWAT team served a warrant at the physical address associated with a WiFi router from which multiple online threats against local law enforcement had originated. Turns out the postings had not originated from the house in which the router was located. The router was configured as an open network and had been used by a neighbor. Oops.

    I don’t know enough about such things to be able to say anything authoritative about judges’ general background knowledge of the workings of the Internet or the wisdom of bunching what by my count were nine officers on the porch of a structure which there was reason to believe contained explosives. I do know enough, however, to say this: WAP is your friend. If you have been waiting for a good reason to spend the time figuring out how to secure your home’s wireless network this story is as good as any.

    Also, Evansville has a SWAT team?!?
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

  2. #2
    Council Member davidbfpo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,064

    Default

    Somebody needs to educate the applicant (the police) and those issuing the search warrant (magistrates I assume). As for the actual execution of the warrant, it looks like the SWAT used it as an exercise.
    davidbfpo

  3. #3
    Council Member ganulv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Berkshire County, Mass.
    Posts
    896

    Default And given the presence of the camera crew

    Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    As for the actual execution of the warrant, it looks like the SWAT used it as an exercise.
    also as a photo op. Given the way things turned out they might wish they had that one back.

    Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    Somebody needs to educate […] those issuing the search warrant (magistrates I assume).
    Know that you say it, that a magistrate may have issued the warrant makes a lot of sense. In my experience the legal background and overall quality of local magistrates is, um, variable.
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

  4. #4
    Moderator Steve Blair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    3,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
    Also, Evansville has a SWAT team?!?
    Everyone has a SWAT team these days...
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

  5. #5
    Council Member ganulv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Berkshire County, Mass.
    Posts
    896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    Everyone has a SWAT team these days...
    But only the smaller locales invariably have a couple of members who look like they forgot to say, “When!” as they were being poured into their black nylon.
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

  6. #6
    Moderator Steve Blair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    3,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
    But only the smaller locales invariably have a couple of members who look like they forgot to say, “When!” as they were being poured into their black nylon.
    Well...if they're moonlighting from their mall ninja jobs that kinda makes sense.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

  7. #7
    Council Member slapout9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,818

    Default

    WAP....you mean an Italian?

  8. #8
    Council Member ganulv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Berkshire County, Mass.
    Posts
    896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    WAP....you mean an Italian?
    If you say that to an Italian and don’t immediately find yourself rolling around on the ground with him, yes, he is your friend!
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Similar Threads

  1. Franco-Prussian War - Book Suggetions For Friend
    By Adam L in forum RFIs & Members' Projects
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-04-2008, 04:55 PM
  2. Our Old Friend Diana West Is At It Again
    By SteveMetz in forum US Policy, Interest, and Endgame
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-21-2007, 03:25 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •