Thread: Ignoring Small Wars: Somebodies, Nobodies, And the Politics of Dignity

Default Ignoring Small Wars: Somebodies, Nobodies, And the Politics of Dignity

All Rise: Somebodies, Nobodies, And the Politics of Dignity

by Robert Fuller

Robert Fuller's bestseller "Somebodies and Nobodies diagnosed and named the malady of rankism -- "what somebodies may do to nobodies." In this sequel, he further explores the social and psychological costs of this problem and counters it with the vision of a "dignitarian" society. Drawing on his experiences as a scientist, college president, and public diplomat, Fuller identifies rankism as the chief obstacle to achieving the American vision of liberty and justice for all -- and he spells out the steps required to eradicate it. Beginning with a call to action, the author exposes what is at stake by demonstrating rankism's poisonous presence in politics, business, and even personal relationships. By way of solutions, he offers alternative dignitarian models for several fundamental parts of society, including education, healthcare, politics, and religion. "All Rise illuminates the subtle, often dysfunctional workings of power in all our interactions, and shows why change is not only desirable but vital.

Mike:

Charles Murray's latest book, Coming Apart covers something related to this. I thought Murray's book was very good. It is about how a small slice of society is running the outfit but they are separate from, by choice, and ignorant of the rest of society.

An example of "what somebodies may do to nobodies" is the unfolding LIBOR scandal. Nobody is going to go to jail I'll bet.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    Mike:

Charles Murray's latest book, Coming Apart covers something related to this. I thought Murray's book was very good. It is about how a small slice of society is running the outfit but they are separate from, by choice, and ignorant of the rest of society.

An example of "what somebodies may do to nobodies" is the unfolding LIBOR scandal. Nobody is going to go to jail I'll bet.
    carl,I meant to tell you. I have not read the book yet but I have heard a couple of interviews with the author and read some reviews. I agree completely with what the author has to say. When I was a kid and if you had gone to the church where I went to it was a complete mix of the richest and some of the poorest. The rich (quietly) always saw to it that the poor would have access to vital services(including Santa Claus!) and never made a big deal about it so the poor were never embarrassed about their situation but never had to worry about suffering. It isn't like that anymore, a few years ago I went back and visited that church or rather I tried to visit, no more open worship you had to be recommended to join. The rich have formed a very exclusive club and it is not good for the country.