Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
They'll tell you you have to figure the worst thing you could run into, plan, equip and, very critically, train for that and realize that something will still happen you didn't figure on you will have to deal with...

Undertrain and underassume and you'll pay, as we have seen recently; overtrain and cautiously assume and you'll prevail -- as has also been proven but not recently.

Murphy and all that.
Yes, Ken...sigh. I guess I'll defer to your precise phraseology because when I originally said "You figure what you are most likely to run into, plan for that and realize that something will happen you didn't figure on you will have to deal with it." it is obvious that the word "likely" as I used it couldn't possibly encompass the worst you will most likely run into, and that "likely" isn't applicable because it won't happen that if you figure the simple worst thing you could run into you will try to account for everything and apply too little everywhere, over burden yourself so you can't move or paralyze yourself with indecision and not do anything at all...or all three and some more I didn't think of. I'll defer also because the word "could" as you use it couldn't also be written as "are likely to" or "are most likely to" because you never have to assume some limit on the threat in order to get anything done or avoid hugely overburdening yourself.

And I'll defer too because I never in all my posts on this thread mentioned properly training or equipping.

We're saying the same thing.