Thread: U.S. Air Force Loses Out in Iraq War

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

You are exactly right about the people vs. platforms argument. I read the Chief of Staff's letter to airmen a few months ago (I believe there was discussion about it here) and it clearly said that personnel were being cut to pay for weapons platforms. The value is with technology rather than personnel. This results in a number of problems too numerous to get into here, but this mentality permeates the Air Force and, I think, does it a disservice.

While other branchs of the service are relearning forgotten lessons of small wars, the AF never learned them. The AF thought of Vietnam as some sort of anomaly and refocused its Cold War thinking on China. While I believe that we certainly have to be ready for anything, including the rise of a peer or near competitor, we also have to fight the war we have not the one we want. Although I am unfamiliar with its exact mission, I know the Royal Air Force has an internal infantry regiment. Perhaps we should move toward something of this nature? It would certainly help us move toward helping our Army and Marine brothers.

There is a growing voice in AF circles that recognizes the lack of small wars focus. Lets just hope it gains traction. There are alot of us that want a bigger role in small wars.
    Last edited by LawVol; 12-20-2006 at 02:43 PM. Reason: typo