Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cry of the DIA Analyst !

Post Great Paper and research

Hi Marc,
    Thank you for the advice. I read your paper, and really liked it. Strangely enough, I have intuitively been using your methodologies without realizing it. I am amazed that you are researching "combining structural relationships between market research and Insurgency / Counter-Insurgency."
    Best Regards,
    Bill

Default re: Random Thoughts

Hi SWJED,
    Good to hear from you. Thanks for the valuable suggestions. I have been self-nominating for Army InfoSec jobs at Ft. Meade 902d MI, best that happened was I was referred but not selected. I am not going to give up though. I will certainly check out the Service Intel Centers you mentioned.
    Again, Many Thanks,
    Bill

Hi Bill,

Quote Originally Posted by lazlo View Post
    Thank you for the advice. I read your paper, and really liked it. Strangely enough, I have intuitively been using your methodologies without realizing it.
    Glad you liked it. As I said, it's out of date right now, but the basic structures are still in place if the specifics are somewhat old .

I am amazed that you are researching "combining structural relationships between market research and Insurgency / Counter-Insurgency."
    Well, what I really research is how people construct "systems of meaning" and how they communicate them. The structural relationships between market research and insurgency / COIN are an example of on particular type of a system of meaning, and that's where my focus is now.

Marc
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

I am looking to contribute to the concept and practice of "Network Warfare". As a complete rookie to intelligence, I very much appreciate your (and the forum's) counsel.
    Bill, what are your thoughts on network warfare? A lot of the COIN/Insurgency researchers think of networks like MarcT would think; the individual entity operating within the theater of ideas as a participant in a larger collective. I use the same name "network warfare" in a larger technology context. How does a willing adversary use the technology and communications medium against the unknowing subject?

Bill, since you're a CISSP and affiliated with SANS most of your training will have been in the protection of networks and data repositories from outside harm and internal corruption. How would you turn the tables and portray the adversarial relationship and use the network as a delivery agent of a weapon/munition to a target? In the world of warfare the perspective of kinetic warfare is highly prized but often ignores the soft underbelly of the mechanisms of strategy or intelligence gathering.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Hi Bill and Selil,

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    Bill, what are your thoughts on network warfare? A lot of the COIN/Insurgency researchers think of networks like MarcT would think; the individual entity operating within the theater of ideas as a participant in a larger collective. I use the same name "network warfare" in a larger technology context. How does a willing adversary use the technology and communications medium against the unknowing subject?
    I'd be interested in knowing too. Personally, I do try and integrate communications technology in my own work, but generally at a much more abstract level.

Marc
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    Hi Bill and Selil,

I'd be interested in knowing too. Personally, I do try and integrate communications technology in my own work, but generally at a much more abstract level.

Marc
    Hey! Hey!

You've already got a doctorate... It's MY dissertation.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Council Member

Talking

An alternative method of entering the community is to join as an operator, not an analyst. Both DIA and CIA are recruiting.

CIA does require a lifestyle poly, if you have any strange habits. (There's a good reason why Stan stayed w/DIA!!) LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Old Eagle View Post
    An alternative method of entering the community is to join as an operator, not an analyst. Both DIA and CIA are recruiting.

CIA does require a lifestyle poly, if you have any strange habits. (There's a good reason why Stan stayed w/DIA!!) LOL

Ahhh I could be James Bond!

Now that is a pretty picture. Old, fat, bald, former Marine becomes CIA operative. Hell freezes over, and world ends as we know it. Film at a 11.

Now wait a second.. are you saying Stan has strange habits, or that they're required to be a CIA type???
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog

Now wait a second.. are you saying Stan has strange habits, or that they're required to be a CIA type???
    No stranger than mine....

And I have never met a "normal" intelligence operator

I cannot be deemed strange because I have come to see all others as abnormal

Except Stan, of course

Tom

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by selil
    ...has strange habits, or that they're required to be a CIA type???
    That question instantly reminded me of the first part of the movie Stripes, during the interview in the recruiter's office:
    Recruiter : Now, are either of you homosexuals?

John Winger : You mean like flaming? Or part time?

Recruiter : Well, it's a question we have to ask of all our new recruits.

Russell Ziskey : No, we're not homosexual, but we are willing to learn.

Default Heh. Further deponent

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    . . .

And I have never met a "normal" intelligence operator

. . .

Tom
    sayeth not...

Hey! Hey!

You've already got a doctorate... It's MY dissertation.
    LOLOL

Okay, I'll say it once - McLuhan, George Grant and Harold Innis. The "Holy Trinity" of Canadian Communications theory (DeKerchov only wishes...). So, need an external on your defense?

Marc
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    LOLOL

Okay, I'll say it once - McLuhan, George Grant and Harold Innis. The "Holy Trinity" of Canadian Communications theory (DeKerchov only wishes...). So, need an external on your defense?

Marc

My advisor is already a Canadian I think we have quotas or something.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog

My advisor is already a Canadian I think we have quotas or something.
    True.... We wouldn't want to push you folks too hard !
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Post Jfccnw

All,
    Thank you for asking. I know the following is a bit long, but describes the general idea of "Network Warfare" as I understand it. It is from an article published in 'Wired' magazine, so is a couple of years old. I do have a couple of stories from the first Gulf War that give a rather simple but effective example: i.e. laser printers sent from a European 3rd. party to the Admin offices of the Iraqi gov. and military which contained embedded 'IC beacons'. When turned on remotely, these beacons broadcast their locations, which was then used for targeting purposes.

U.S. Military's Elite Hacker Crew
    The U.S. military has assembled the world's most formidable hacker posse: a super-secret, multimillion-dollar weapons program that may be ready to launch bloodless cyberwar against enemy networks -- from electric grids to telephone nets.

The group's existence was revealed during a U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee hearing last month. Military leaders from U.S. Strategic Command, or Stratcom, disclosed the existence of a unit called the Joint Functional Component Command for Network Warfare, or JFCCNW.
    In simple terms and sans any military jargon, the unit could best be described as the world's most formidable hacker posse. Ever.

The JFCCNW is charged with defending all Department of Defense networks. The unit is also responsible for the highly classified, evolving mission of Computer Network Attack, or as some military personnel refer to it, CNA. But aside from that, little else is known.....
    The CIO of the company (Lt. Col. USAFR), I work for is part of this project.

Bill
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 07-25-2007 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Added link, edited quoted content.

It seems this super hacker org should be wiping out the legit jihadist sites and sprouting hundreds of bogus divisive jihadist sites suggesting OBL doesn't like the Algerians or the Indonesian Jihadists smell funny, etc. Might even be good to throw in some recipes for bombs that don't work, and how covering yourself in tin foil will keep the NSA from reading your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Eagle View Post

Considering the AF "E" you folks kept on retired status when I arrived, I'd have to say I was borderin' on normal...3 polygraphs later...but then I did manage to retire first

What did you ever do with him ? Back to the DIAC to assist the world's intel community

Ahhh I could be James Bond!

Now that is a pretty picture. Old, fat, bald, former Marine becomes CIA operative. Hell freezes over, and world ends as we know it. Film at a 11.

I think it was both, but then I did work with Tom for quite some time prior to meeting Old Eagle and his AF side kick

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    I think it was both, but then I did work with Tom for quite some time prior to meeting Old Eagle and his AF side kick
    We were not strange...

We were eccentric...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    We were not strange...

We were eccentric...
    I often hate it when you use WE while describing US !

Directly from Merriam-Webster

ik-'sen-trik, ek-
    a: Deviating from an established or usual pattern or style (OK, we kinda did that one)

b: Deviating from conventional or accepted usage or conduct especially in odd or whimsical ways (hey, c'mon, that's creative logistics).

How did we manage to stay with DIA ?

BTW Tom, that's a scary jpeg !