Thread: Essay - UN Unable to Address Modern Conflicts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think the failure of the UN is rooted in something more fundamental than than nations failing to achieve consensus on military aims and resources.

The UN was founded, and continues to operate, on the basis of the noble fantasy that there exists a "community of nations."

Such has never existed and likely won't for the foreseeable future.
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by J Wolfsberger View Post
    I think the failure of the UN is rooted in something more fundamental than than nations failing to achieve consensus on military aims and resources.

The UN was founded, and continues to operate, on the basis of the noble fantasy that there exists a "community of nations."

Such has never existed and likely won't for the foreseeable future.
    This is a key part in the essay, but I've just realised that I'm not doing a very good job of explaining it, let alone in laymans terms.

That shall be fixed.

Cheers,

Mac

Realism: International Relations

Common assumptions

Realism is a tradition of international theory centered upon four propositions.

1. Anarchy:
    - There is no actor above states capable of regulating their interactions; states must arrive at relations with other states on their own, rather than it being dictated to them by some higher controlling entity.
    - The international system exists in a state of constant antagonism.

2. Egoism:
    - Individuals and groups tend to pursue self-interest.
    - Groups strive to attain as many resources as possible.

3. Groupism:
    Politics takes place within and between groups.

4. Power politics:
    - Relations between groups are determined by their levels of power derived primarily from their material (military and economic) capabilities.
    - The overriding national interest of each state is its survival, and there is a general distrust of long-term cooperation or alliance.
    - International politics are always power politics

Council Member

The essential problem is sovereignty. Democratic nations don't want to give up sovereignty to an unelected and unaccountable foreign institution. For non-democratic nations the loss of sovereignty would threaten their hold on power. The UN thus becomes a political tool to wield in the service of the national interest.
    Supporting "time-limited, scope limited military actions" for 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    The essential problem is sovereignty. Democratic nations don't want to give up sovereignty to an unelected and unaccountable foreign institution.
    True, but they have no problem attempting to impose their concept of "popular sovereignty" on other states under the guise of Universal Human Rights.

For non-democratic nations the loss of sovereignty would threaten their hold on power.
    I am not sure that is accurate. What some would view as non-democratic leaders get elected all the time. But I do believe that is how "non-democratic" states see it. The main threat coming from the "popular sovereignty" contingent who would limit any regime's ability to impose its will on its population in ways democratic leaders might not be openly willing to agree with.

The UN thus becomes a political tool to wield in the service of the national interest.
    Unfortunate reality.

I still have to agree with others here that we are better off with it than without it. That does not mean that it could not stand a little tweaking.
    Last edited by TheCurmudgeon; 08-21-2012 at 01:31 PM.
    "I can change almost anything ... but I can't change human nature."

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
    ---

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurmudgeon View Post
    True, but they have no problem attempting to impose their concept of "popular sovereignty" on other states under the guise of Universal Human Rights.
    For me that would fall under using the UN as a tool for the national interest.

I am not sure that is accurate. What some would view as non-democratic leaders get elected all the time. But I do believe that is how "non-democratic" states see it. The main threat coming from the "popular sovereignty" contingent who would limit any regime's ability to impose its will on its population in ways democratic leaders might not be openly willing to agree with.
    I used those terms pretty loosely. By democratic I mean governments where the people actually have a stake in the government and in government policy.

I still have to agree with others here that we are better off with it than without it. That does not mean that it could not stand a little tweaking.
    I don't want to get rid of the UN either, I just think we need to be cognizant of its limits.
    Supporting "time-limited, scope limited military actions" for 20 years.

Default Entropy...and Mac...

i have been having trouble lately with the "democracy/non-democracy" distinction. Liberal/non-liberal seems to be my current preference, but it is a work in progress.

Mac,

I will add one bit of advise. Consider you audience. Are you writing this for a grade or because you believe in what you are saying. If you are writing for a grade then agree with whatever position that the professor espouses. Your grade will be better. If you are writing from the heart, then damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead ... (those Navy guys have all the good sayings ... except for Patton).

Good Luck

After several years, more than a decade in fact, working with the UN, sometimes for the UN, I came to the conclusion that UN will never have military capacity for the following reasons:
    - contributing states want to make money and loose 0 combattants,
    - nobody is accountable to anyone for doing or ot his job,
    - Troops contributing countries do not have modern armies. And when they have one, they keep it home because they busy fighting a modern conflict (like Pakistan and India for exemple)

It is not a question of understanding or not the local context, the regional context, the political context or even the international context. It is not because they have no intel, no contacts with parties of the conflict, no military capacity (well sometimes it's the problem too)... In few words, it is not because the machine design on paper is not capable.

UN are able to address modern conflict... On paper.

Council Member

This could quite possibly be the last copy. Too much going on with other assignments and projects, not to mention I kick off on a big field exercise in two days.

M-A Lagrange, after reading the previous posts and deciding to narrow my subject a bit more, I came to similar conclusions as yourself. The one part you hit on which I completely missed was a potential lack of accountability within the UN system. Very good point.

TheCurmudgeon, as somebody who is likely to make a career out of both soldiering and as a student of security studies, it would not be right for me to simply be regurgitating whatever my professor has fed me. While I do need the grades, my own credibility and honor takes priority over that. I have never been one to align myself with my professors for the sake of earning some easy credits. Last year I was asked to write an essay on whether or not war was less likely as a result of increasing economic interdependence, and I was to argue for either a Realist perspective (Increased trade increases chances of war) or the Liberal perspective (Increased trade decreases chances of war). Out of several hundred essays, mine was the only one which directly challenged the professor and said "No. Neither theory is correct, and I abhor the idea that you can simplify war down to that level" and I went on to argue that neither theory was right or wrong. I guess I'm not an easy student.

Some of the others who bought up points might notice the influence they had on this essay. I sorely wanted to include Entropy's point about sovereignty, and if the word limit was increased that would probably be a point (or paragraph) I would be discussing.

Would like to say thanks to all who provided feedback and debate. It is appreciated very much. Hopefully one day I can provide back to the community with some work of my own.

Regards,

Mac
    Last edited by McArthur; 08-22-2012 at 02:04 PM.