Thread: How to beat the Taliban in Afghanistan / Pakistan (and win the war on terror)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Well that's 2 replies I have now had here and whilst I would welcome a serious criticism of my proposed strategy or further questions and a debate, the throw-away comments I have received so far do not hold out much hope of that.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    A wise strategy is one where the expected benefits--increased security--justify the expected strategic costs (blood, money, lost opportunities). This does not meet that standard.
    Steve hasn't said anything about my strategy. The only single word he used to refer to my plan was "this".

"This"?

If Steve has nothing specific about my plan to say in criticism then OK but let's not pretend that Steve has made a serious contribution what all Steve has said is "this".

Steve's opinion is no more substantial and relevant than when Steve says "this is a good movie", or "this is a good meal". Steve is entitled to hold and express Steve's unfounded opinion but Steve's opinion doesn't amount to a significant criticism.

Steve doesn't say what strategic costs he expects from plan, nor why he thinks, if he does think that, the costs of my strategy would be more?

The costs of my plan wouldn't be more, they would be less. If Steve could say why he thinks they would be more I could reply and say why I think he is wrong.

But Steve doesn't say anything specific about my plan. All he says is "this" and he could have said "this" even if he had not read my plan and for all we know, Steve didn't read it.

So I initially declined to reply to Steve's vacant vague opinion but now there is another comment to reply to so I might as well kill two birds with one stone.

Quote Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
    Peter, I think you'll find that troop numbers is what it comes down to – and that is a wicked problem.
    What about "troop numbers"? Doesn't anyone here actually ever explain what they mean?

For the dedicated NATO auxiliary supply route protection force of mostly Afghans but possibly supplemented by troops from neighbouring countries if necessary to get reliable troops of the appropriate quality, the funding would come from a re-allocation of the funds the US and others pay for the Afghan National Army.

My plan is to cease international especially US & other NATO countries funding of the ANA.

There's something like, last I heard, 200,000 troops on the (corrupt) books of the ANA which we are paying for.

Are those 200,000 troops, not achieving a whole lot on their own, "a wicked problem" according to bourbon? Only bourbon knows but bourbon isn't telling anyone what he means.

My plan is to quit paying for the ANA under Karzai and his generals. Instead, reallocate the money saved to pay for the NATO auxiliary supply route protection force I have described.

Now as for the numbers of troops required for this force, I proposed, including a 25% reserve -

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dow View Post
    Force including reserves is 25 infantry per kilometre, 40 infantry per mile
    So the total number of troops required depends on what length of supply route you require to defend.

So supposing the routes to be defended were something like this -

That's about 1500 miles or 2400 km of supply route which at 25 / km or 40 / mile = 60,000 infantry plus support troops.

If you only need to defend a shorter length of supply route, then it's fewer infantry whereas if you need to defend a longer length then it's more infantry required.

So instead of spending whatever it is on 200,000 ANA the plan is NATO countries reallocate that money, our own money, and spend it on the supply route protection force.

There's nothing more "wicked" about my troop numbers than the troop numbers we are already paying for.

Most of the measures in my plan require no more money nor more resources than is already being spent.

Clearly, if it was necessary to invade Saudi Arabia to stop the Saudis funding terrorism that invasion would cost more to do but on the other hand we could seize Saudi oil to pay for our costs. Most everything else I have proposed could be done on the same budget as is already being spent.

Further savings could be made by stopping funding state sponsor of terrorism countries such as Pakistan and Egypt who both get about $2 billion from the US every year.

So that's $4 bn / yr saved at the stroke of pen before the rest of my plan goes into operation.

If you are looking for an efficient victory, you have come to the right plan.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Peter Dow; 04-23-2013 at 07:28 PM.