Thread: Only Stupid, Sadistic Dictators Hang

Default Only Stupid, Sadistic Dictators Hang

Only Stupid, Sadistic Dictators Hang... and Saddam was Both - London Daily Telegraph commentary by Niall Ferguson.

Only a minority of modern dictators have been executed for their crimes. The most bloodthirsty of all, Stalin and Mao, died in full possession of their powers, if not their faculties. Franco pulled off the same trick. Hitler cheated the hangman with a bullet in the bunker. Pol Pot lost power, but was never brought to justice and died in his bed, as did Idi Amin.

Slobodan Milosevic stood trial for his crimes, but died of a heart attack in March with 50 hours of testimony still to be heard. Augusto Pinochet, too, suffered the indignity of arrest; three weeks ago he also expired naturally before prosecution could even begin. Suharto is another fallen dictator who has avoided standing trial on the grounds of ill health.

And let's not forget that dwindling band of dictators who are still alive and in power: Fidel Castro, Robert Mugabe and Muammar Gaddafi.

Dictators, by definition, have absolute power. For a dictator to end his life hanging from a rope, or facing a firing squad, therefore requires a rather rare combination of wickedness and stupidity: enough of the former to incur the hatred of his countrymen, enough of the latter to take on armies mightier than his own. Both these qualities Saddam Hussein possessed in abundance. That is why, in the wake of his execution at dawn yesterday morning, he deserves to be remembered as the Mussolini of Mesopotamia -- if not the Ceausescu of Baghdad...
    No mention of Kim Jong-il - but I guess the verdict is still out on that one - maybe the Chinese have something in mind?

Hans Brix? Oh, no!!!!

Council Member

Hitler escaped the gallows. But recall that the method of execution of his cronies at Nuernburg was hanging.

I'm personally partial to the firing squad, which is not popular as an execution method after conviction in a fair trial.

Council Member

Default No comment!

Some of your colleagues launched a fierce attack when I told them that Saddam was KILLED.
    No comment! We, Europeans have other opinions about human rights in comparison with YOU. I would like to know your opinion about killer and dictator PINOCHET!
    All the best and take care!
    Quote Originally Posted by SWJED View Post
    Only Stupid, Sadistic Dictators Hang... and Saddam was Both - London Daily Telegraph commentary by Niall Ferguson.

No mention of Kim Jong-il - but I guess the verdict is still out on that one - maybe the Chinese have something in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by georgev View Post
    Some of your colleagues launched a fierce attack when I told them that Saddam was KILLED.
    No comment! We, Europeans have other opinions about human rights in comparison with YOU. I would like to know your opinion about killer and dictator PINOCHET!
    All the best and take care!
    My opinion? Well, he's dead too. Not really sure of what you're going for here, georgev.