I looked it over a few times, and really don't see anything very confusing about it, unless you really wish it to be so.

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
Now the importance of this article isn't that a Red Chinese invasion fleet will be setting sail for Naha next week. The importance is that some powerful people in Red China think is a good enough idea to promulgate it officially (seeing as how there is no free press in Red China, if it gets out like it did, it's official).

That some powerful people think this is a good idea and should be pursued illustrates to a nebbish like me the folly of trying to appease an aggressive police state. They are never satisfied and if appeased will only want more since they have been rewarded for aggression.

JMA said something a while back about a rocky road ahead for Japan.
Not necessarily official, but with some backing in official circles, or at least some interest in floating the idea. There's a great deal of factionalism within "official" in China, and many different people pursuing different agendas for different reasons.

Coincidentally, I recently discussed these matters with a recently retired US Naval officer, of the submarine persuasion (a lot of USN types still retire in Subic). He had a very high opinion of the JMSDF, and expressed the belief (he had strong opinions) that anyone taking a bite at them in their own turf would be in for a very rocky road of their own. That's not an opinion I'm in a position to evaluate, of course, but it was strongly held. I do suspect that one reason the Chinese will likely avoid large-scale confrontation is that they have a fair array of opposition, much of it well equipped and capable. The Japanese and the Koreans are not pushovers, and any move aimed at conquest would be anything but easy.

Seems to me all this talk of aggression and appeasement is somewhat inconsistent with what's actually happening on the water, and in any event I don't see what practical alternative course of action really exists beyond more of what's already being done, as reviewed above. I've yet to hear any persuasive argument for threats, bluster, and ultimatums, nor do I see what they're meant to accomplish.