Thread: Is Cyber a new warfare? Debate (catch all)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Avatars don’t really fight one another, do they?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Patron View Post
    If cyberspace isn't a "place" then where are we fighting?
    Maybe an office suite in Guangzhou, maybe a hotel in Odessa, maybe an apartment in Lagos. There is ultimately a physicality to be reckoned with. The EMS is in the physical world; where is “the” cyberspace?
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Council Member

I would say cyberspace is unique due to its lack of a location attribute. Dismissing cyberspace as a domain makes it difficult to operate effectively because minor actions, in terms of physicality (intrusion into one server for only a few minutes, say) can have major ramifications. As a domain, cyberspace possesses points of vulnerability that simply don't appear on the maps of any other domain.
    Last edited by motorfirebox; 06-04-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
    Maybe an office suite in Guangzhou, maybe a hotel in Odessa, maybe an apartment in Lagos. There is ultimately a physicality to be reckoned with. The EMS is in the physical world; where is “the” cyberspace?
    So, all you've done is say, that cyberspace operations are another dimension of the physical domains. Using your thought process, if I shoot an ICBM, the missle is the "domain" that just happens to depart a silo on land and impact a land/sea target elsewhere.

I'm not saying cyberspace is NOT a domain - academically it certainly is; that horse has left the barn. But as a "warfighting" domain, it is really not described in a way that distinguishes it from the physical domains.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
    I can put myself any of those places, and all of them if I want to. In fact being lost in some digital rats nest is something of an advantage to anyone doing it.