Thread: Thoughts on a possible "surge" in Iraq

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A Najaf-style fight in Sadr City I think is going to happen regardless. We just have to do it right and we HAVE to get the ISF involved, if not take the lead.
    I think that will be a watershed moment, when we take an Iraqi brigade (with aperhaps 50% Shi'a manning level), stand them up nice and neatly in formation, and tell them they are the main effort in an attack to seize mission in Sadr City. I'd like to see the look on their faces.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    I think that will be a watershed moment, when we take an Iraqi brigade (with aperhaps 50% Shi'a manning level), stand them up nice and neatly in formation, and tell them they are the main effort in an attack to seize mission in Sadr City. I'd like to see the look on their faces.
    Especially as the family of the shia jundi would probably be taken hostage by some Sadrist militia.

You'd have better luck with the PeshMerga doing that kind of dirty work.

Default Well I'll be a monkey's uncle!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki said on Saturday that Iraq's armed forces are set for an assault on Baghdad to take out militias and rogue security forces.

Aided by multinational troops, the Iraqi forces "will hunt down all outlaws regardless of their sectarian and political affiliations," al-Maliki said at an Iraqi Army Day parade.

"We will also severely punish those [security forces] who do not carry out orders or operate in a partisan or sectarian way," he said.

Forces will search out insurgents neighborhood-by-neighborhood, The Associated Press reported, and will start the assault this weekend.
    ----

Looks like the first tier of the IO campaign started. Too bad it's another telegraphed right hook.
    Last edited by jcustis; 01-06-2007 at 10:06 PM.

JC, there is a post on the daily news links page about the 82nd Airborne doing the same thing. Question is it telegraphing or is something else up? What say ye?

Maybe Sadr has agreed to have his guys go to ground for a while, and hand over a few dozen RPGs and machine guns as a token offering. Maliki looks good, and the death squads are off the streets for a few days.

Default An update

From CBC.ca

Iraqi forces press Baghdad insurgent strongholds
    Last Updated: Saturday, January 6, 2007 | 7:51 PM ET
    CBC News

Iraqi forces launched a new security drive in Baghdad Saturday to quell violence in the embattled city's neighbourhoods, Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said, as state television reported 30 militants were killed in a gun battle.

More...
    Marc
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Moved this over to a more open area, to see if opinion comes in from proponents of the various strategies that have popped up within the past 60 days.