Thread: 1943 - Reorganization of the Imperial Iranian Gendarmerie

Council Member

Default 1943 - Reorganization of the Imperial Iranian Gendarmerie

...interesting find at a source-link that Tom provided:

Plan for the Reorganization of the Imperial Iranian Gendarmerie, 20 February 1943
    ...A study has been made of the Iranians in their home life, in their public life and in their official life; and observations have made of their customs, charateristics, ethics, expectations, activities and reactions. Contacts have been made, both officially and personally, with Iranian civilians, Army Officers, Gendarmes, Gendarme Officers, Federal Government Officials, Local Government Officials, Police, Police Officers, villagers, tribesmen, tribal Chiefs, Sheiks, ruling families, peasants, contractors, industrialists, workers, farmers, teachers, students, and members of the middle class....

...Utilizing all information gained, retaining all that is useful in the present organization, recognizing the present emergency and the requirements of the war effort, realizing the necessity of establishing a sound and solid foundation, planning for the future an effective and enduring organization and adapting changes to the receptiveness of the Iranians, the enclosed plan has been prepared...
    Edit to add: Damn! The site doesn't seem to let you hot-link the documents. Let me see what I can do....
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 01-06-2007 at 03:26 AM.

I get a "session expired" notice and then can't find the document with their search.

Marc
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Council Member

Yup, Marc - that is exactly what it seems to be doing now. It looks like the best solution is to just e-mail the document (over 200 pages) to SWJED to put in the library, and then we can put a link in this thread.

Sounds good to me .

Marc
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Default Posted to the SWJ server....

Plan for the Reorganization of the Imperial Iranian Gendarmerie, 20 February 1943.

Thanks for sending this in Jed - Dave

Default Great primary source !

Very nice work guys.

For those interested, Stephen Ambrose had some commentary on the Shwarzkopf mission and it's impact on Iranian politics in Ike's Spies.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by zenpundit View Post
    ...For those interested, Stephen Ambrose had some commentary on the Shwarzkopf mission and it's impact on Iranian politics in Ike's Spies.
    That book is on my shelf, Zen, but I felt its treatment of those formative years of our relationship with Iran was relatively sparse. The meat in Ike's Spies regarding Iran really focuses on the immediate lead up to and execution of the coup against Mossadeqh.

For those with a real interest in more detail on the period immediately preceding the above, I highly recommend The Origins of the Cold War in the Near East: Great Power Conflict and Diplomacy in Iran, Turkey and Greece. Acheson's Pulitzer-prize-winning classic Present at the Creation also covers the Iran issue with a fair amount of insider detail.

That book is on my shelf, Zen, but I felt its treatment of those formative years of our relationship with Iran was relatively sparse"
    Hence the descriptor... " some" instead of another word like "comprehensive"

I agree with you though Jed that Ike's Spies is a better book for the "why" of Ajax; and Acheson is a must read for anyone wanting to understand the postwar world.

Your comment also reminds me that SWC members wanted to find good reads probably would like to take a look at your shelf. You can show them via "Shelfari" My shelf is here ( I'm up to around 15-20 % of my actual collection). Might be a nice app/feature to display a SWJ recommended reading section. Just a thought.