Thread: Afghan Exit:why, how and more in country and beyond

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Good comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    I don't particularly like having the genesis of this thread attributed to me...
    Heh. Stuff like that happens when and where ever well intentioned persons meddle when there was no real cause to do so...
    This was never about Afghanistan. It was never about Iraq. Even AQ is as much a symptom as a problem. It is time to stop agonizing over specific places or organizations or individuals and begin thinking about who we are and how we best define and secure our interests in the changing world emerging around us.
    All true but agonizing over spilt milk apparently makes one feel good. It also seems to focus one on the symptoms rather than the causes...
    Debates over who "won" or who "lost"; or excessive hand-wringing over a particular place such as Afghanistan where we happened to act out on these fears is not that helpful.
    Even more true -- in fact, it's instead harmful and a distraction from what's important.

Default As a well intentioned person who meddles

Originally Posted by Bob's World:
    I don't particularly like having the genesis of this thread attributed to me...
    Then Ken White:
    ...when there was no real cause to do so...
    Such delicacy and to meet Bob's concern I have amended the Moderator's Note in the first post, the last line now reads: this thread was not started by Bob's World, rather I used it as the starting point.

This thread may venture into who "won" or "lost" Afghanistan, the key, uncomfortable theme is 'Afghan Exit:why, how and more in country and beyond'. A theme that SWC should consider and discuss - it might actually help!
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 11-11-2012 at 10:19 PM.
    davidbfpo

No worries Dave. I appreciate very much what you do to keep this site what it is.
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Default So do I appreciate all your efforts, David

Very much so.

No delicacy involved -- I've been accused of many things but that's a first -- just taking advantage of what I thought a non-issue as a reminder to all that the best of intentions (as in Afghanistan) can have unintended and sometimes not at all humorous but sometimes mildly humorous effects.

My apologies if you or anyone else was offended, no insult intended. The thrust of my comment was not that minor aside and poor attempt at humor but the contention that we tend to attack symptoms rather than the root of problems and, in the case of Afghanistan, my opinion stated in the last paragraph:

"...in fact, it's (Debates or excessive hand-wringing over a particular place such as Afghanistan) instead harmful and a distraction from what's important."