Quote Originally Posted by AFlynn View Post
Earl Warren makes an interesting case study here, as he was all for japanese internment, but deeply regretted it afterward.
Thanks for the reference, I'll try and look it up . In the Tommy Douglas case (it was a speach to Parliament), part of his objections were based on the differential status applied to "enemy aliens" - German-Canadians had about 500 or so interned and there were about 1000 Italian-Canadians interned. This is compared with about 90% of Japanese-Canadians.

Part of the point I was trying to make, and apologies to Culpepper because it probably didn't come through now that I reread my post, is that a two-party system that elects its head of state will be inevitably polarized. IMO, one of the main strengths of a constitutional monarchy is the ability to seperate the head of government from the head of state, so attacking the policies of the head of government is unlikely ever to be commonly viewed as "sedition". Since the Crown has almost no de facto power, although it has a lot of de jure power that is only used in extreme situations, this tends to mean that you actually get a more "democratic" government than you do in a republican system. Then again, I am a member of the Monarchist League

Marc