Thread: Alternative Worlds

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    He makes a good point on our excessive focus on the human domain and non-state actors and transnational threats replacing the historical state threats. We have many in our security community, often evidenced on SWJ, who believe the State has become non-relevant.

Excellent point Bill. On a related note I am also always curious to know what people think will replace the State? It is true there are a lot of non-state actors who wield a lot of power from criminal organizations to multi-national corporations. There are shifts in power but when people talk about the decline of the nation-state system what do they think will replace it? Some how I do not think we are going to go back to a City-State system (less Singapore who seems to be doing well) and monarchies and the like. But to all those who think the nation-state system and the concept of national sovereignty is obsolete I am curious to know what people think comes next?
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 12-31-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Fix quote
    David S. Maxwell
    "Irregular warfare is far more intellectual than a bayonet charge." T.E. Lawrence