Thread: Side story on the recent gun spree

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

It's worth pointing out that "enforcing existing laws" means more than simply getting law enforcement off its ass. The ATF--the primary federal organ for dealing with illegal firearms--has been without permanent leadership for six years due to, bluntly, the NRA's meddling. You've got the USA's office in Reno actually refusing to prosecute ATF cases. ATF funding has been cut and cut and cut, again at the behest of gun lobbyists. There is a roadblock to enforcing existing gun laws, and that roadblock is the NRA.

Sorry...but there's no single roadblock (be it the "evil" NRA or the "evil" ATF) to enforcing firearms laws. Cook County Illinois has a track record of either early release or pleading down cases involving firearms (Second City Cop has much on this). JMM points this out quite well above.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

The trend is certainly interesting and a bit surprising. As we have seen according to the stats felons with (hand)guns are responsible for a high percentage of the gun violence, especially murders in big cities. So a seemingly relative simple tool in the fight against it would be a strict enforcement of the laws concerning felons and their most dangerous tools.

BTW: As I understood Mr.Bratton he was talking that in the case of a deranged killer no bullets in a clip would be the best option as it makes it more cumbersome to kill many persons. I can fully agree with that scenario.
    ... "We need officers capable of following systematically the path of logical argument to its conclusion, with disciplined intellect, strong in character and nerve to execute what the intellect dictates"

General Ludwig Beck (1880-1944);
    Speech at the Kriegsakademie, 1935

Quote Originally Posted by Firn View Post
    The trend is certainly interesting and a bit surprising. As we have seen according to the stats felons with (hand)guns are responsible for a high percentage of the gun violence, especially murders in big cities. So a seemingly relative simple tool in the fight against it would be a strict enforcement of the laws concerning felons and their most dangerous tools.
    I was part of the ATF-ICE(Isolate The Criminal Element) program under the higher DOJ funding program Project Safe Neighborhoods and yes it works exactly as advertised so naturally the politicians pulled the funding which caused crime rates to go back up. The Original ATF-ICE program was based upon the ATF/NRA model called Project "Exile" which focused on removing violent felons with firearms and it was hugely successfully and most people have never heard of it. This is nothing but a progressive political agenda it has nothing to do with stopping gun violence or they would fully and permanently fund programs that work. Backround on Project Exile program http://judiciary.house.gov/legacy/earlatt.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Exile
    Last edited by slapout9; 01-24-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Backround stuff

Council Member

Default Naw, Firn

machts nicht, even if this is what Mr Bratton "meant":

from Firn
    BTW: As I understood Mr.Bratton he was talking that in the case of a deranged killer no bullets in a clip would be the best option as it makes it more cumbersome to kill many persons. I can fully agree with that scenario.
    Bratton's point of regulation here is "clip" capacity. That regulation has to apply to everyone - to the deranged killer and to JMM target shooter (a 5-round or 10-round "clip" being used by him in every offhand sporting rifle competition). Thus, a 0-round "clip" is necessarily Bratton's regulation point.

They don't make "deranged killer clips" (0 rounds) and "target shooter clips" (5 or 10-rounds).

Regards

Mike
    Last edited by jmm99; 01-24-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Could we speak at least here of "magazines" instead of "clips", please !??

Council Member

Default I can speak of magazines all day;

but former police chief Bratton spoke in terms of "clips" - his usage, not mine.

And being eminently fair and balanced to those on the opposite side from me, I felt it only fair and balanced to continue his usage.

Regards

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    Could we speak at least here of "magazines" instead of "clips", please !??
    As long as you promise to never again use the phrase "semi-auto spitzer bullet carbines."

On a serious note, all clips are magazines, but not all magazines are clips. The subject of the ban, as discussed so far, is focused solely on clips. Please don't put ideas in their pointy little heads.
    Last edited by J Wolfsberger; 01-26-2013 at 02:05 PM.
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    machts nicht, even if this is what Mr Bratton "meant":

Bratton's point of regulation here is "clip" capacity. That regulation has to apply to everyone - to the deranged killer and to JMM target shooter (a 5-round or 10-round "clip" being used by him in every offhand sporting rifle competition). Thus, a 0-round "clip" is necessarily Bratton's regulation point.

They don't make "deranged killer clips" (0 rounds) and "target shooter clips" (5 or 10-rounds).

Regards

Mike
    Di niente and macht nix indeed, dear Mike. I think in this case the interpretation is in the mind of the beholder and we have to agree to disagree.

Regards

Firn, who is quite happy with his 5-rounds target shooter/hunting clips. They help the standing shooting stance by letting the palm rest lower, a bit Biathlon-like and are not as much in the way of the 10-round version when shooting from a rest.

P.S: A quick glance to youtube shows that even Biathletes are using clips. They are everywhere. In any case she overall explains the challenges quite well. The only biathlon though I'm competing in is our regional 'hunters' competition.
    Last edited by Firn; 01-25-2013 at 07:47 PM.
    ... "We need officers capable of following systematically the path of logical argument to its conclusion, with disciplined intellect, strong in character and nerve to execute what the intellect dictates"

General Ludwig Beck (1880-1944);
    Speech at the Kriegsakademie, 1935

Council Member

Default After 35 years, I find the cause of my shortcomings...

in using my Remington 541-S, which accepts either a 5-thingee whatchacallit:

or a 10-thingee whatchacallit:

I simply failed to use the 5-thingee whatchacallit as a palm rest.

I won't do a Brent Musburger ... ; I won't do a Brent ...; I will not do a Brent ....

But, Annalies Cook can say "clips" and "bullets" all that her blessed little heart desires.

Regards

Mike

PS: Pics are accurate depictions of the model, but not pics of my rifle.
    Last edited by jmm99; 01-25-2013 at 10:56 PM.