To Carl for a 206 page study, which I'll gum.

More generally,

On the other hand, we have Kent State and the Detroit Riot (National Guard ops), and Ruby Ridge and Waco (Fed ops) - realities, as opposed to a hypothetical. I suppose those four could be set aside as cockups; or are they simply examples of how confrontations can quickly get out of hand?

On the other, other hand, 25% of a Marine company is still a lot of firepower - and, what if a company is fired on first? I'd expect the non-firing Marines would flip their switches very quickly.

Thus, I'd still stick with a Gene Sharp approach as the default means of non-compliance - although that is not a life assurance policy.

All that being said, a question might be how many of the 3 million or so NRA members would engage in some form of "civil disobedience" ? I've no idea whether that's been studied. And, how many others (not NRA members) would join them ? Again, I've no idea.

Finally, Carl, thanks for reminding me of Charles Murray, Coming Apart - which reminded me of Rasmussen's polls to the same effect. I'll work them in.

Regards

Mike