Thread: Maliki

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Interview with PM Nouri al-Maliki - 29 Aug

Interview with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki - McClatchy, 29 Aug.
    Comments I found interesting:

FADEL: So do you believe it is helpful or harmful for the U.S. to remain as they work with some Sunni groups, that you criticized?

MALIKI: ... The support for the Sunnis is something we do not accept — because we do not agree to support either Sunnis or Shiites. I have made a pledge to deal with matters according to state law and citizens regardless of their affiliations. Our responsibility is to break down the barriers that have been erected recently between Sunnis and Shiites, Arabs and Kurds in the interest of national unity. I do not support these practices of sectarianism; therefore we have commissioned a committee to deal with all those who wish for national reconciliation, a central committee that is to regulate dealings with them — not on a sectarian basis — but on a national basis ...

I confirm that the positive development in the security situation is owed to national reconciliation much more than to our security forces or coalition troops. Some would want to hide this fact, but it is a fact not to be hidden.
    FADEL: Do you ever feel that the system itself is flawed? A Sunni tribal sheik described you as a nationalist, but a pen that couldn't write because you were caught between two fists and every finger is a party.

MALIKI: The picture you draw is indeed close to reality. Truly the political process is a novel experience for Iraqis. The political parties want to pressure me into concessions and I want the interest of Iraq to dominate all. I admit there is a flaw, it is the immaturity of our people regarding the political project and it's principles ...

The other mistake that helped support this phenomenon was that initially the government was based upon sectarian quota for which the civil governor that held office at that time (Bremer) is to blame. The idea existed and he can't be blamed for suggesting it, but he should have rejected it altogether. Instead he accepted and encouraged the principle as a basis for our political system ...
    FADEL: What about Muqtada al Sadr? Do you visit him?

MALIKI: I visited him once before I became prime minister and once after. The visits were positive. In the second visit I spoke to him about the ministries held by Sadrist ministers and that their administration should be on correct lines away from sectarian favoritism. I mentioned some violations and, to tell the truth for history's sake, his attitude was very positive. He expressed his wish to withdraw from the partnership and that I was to be the one to choose their replacements. After that there were no more visits or meetings.

FADEL: Why not, at this time, when there are troubled relations, and the Mahdi Army is being accused of killing governors and running astray?

MALIKI: I have no problem with meeting him. But he withdrew from the challenges to a large degree and he has big problems within the movement. That is why I have meetings with leaders from the movement but not with Muqtada and I have many efforts for reform and to bridge the mistakes through bilateral or more dialogue. Perhaps what is holding back our talks is my firm rejection of the policies adopted by the movement. And I believe some leaders have begun to understand my position and accept it as the correct position in spite of my firmness. Indeed now is the time for meetings but I believe that meeting the leaders who actually represent the movement is more to the point and more effective in quelling the situation and in isolating the gangs from the good elements and cadres in the movement.

Default Maliki derived from Malik?

Interesting interview, - I've heard a lot of reports of tension between Petraeus' team and the PM, clearly the difference in how the two sides view cooperation with the Sunnis; the Americans see it as their greatest victory, al-Maliki as a potential defeat.

Anyway, sorry to go off topic, but I know there's a few Arabic speakers here - does anyone know of al-Maliki is derivied from malik, the Arabic word for King? I've only taken two years and my instructor wasn't sure.

Certainly would be painfully ironic if Iraq's first legitimately elected PM was named King.

Matt
    "Give a good leader very little and he will succeed. Give a mediocrity a great deal and he will fail." - General George C. Marshall

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MattC86 View Post
    Interesting interview, - I've heard a lot of reports of tension between Petraeus' team and the PM, clearly the difference in how the two sides view cooperation with the Sunnis; the Americans see it as their greatest victory, al-Maliki as a potential defeat.

Anyway, sorry to go off topic, but I know there's a few Arabic speakers here - does anyone know of al-Maliki is derivied from malik, the Arabic word for King? I've only taken two years and my instructor wasn't sure.

Certainly would be painfully ironic if Iraq's first legitimately elected PM was named King.

Matt
    Malik - Master, angel, king

I think the most interesting part of the interview is where he says that Muqtada doesn't have enough power to make him worth meeting anymore - he'd rather meet directly with Sadrist faction leaders.